Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB folders turned to shortcuts

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Iris17

Iris17

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

Hi,

Recently whenever I plug in a USB into my laptop, the file folders on the USB will start to be changed to shortcuts (I plugged in 2 different USBs and both experienced the same thing). In addition, randomly named shortcuts (i.e. 77420) will also appear in the USB. I could however, still access folders that I previously created and were changed to shortcuts.

The file folders on my laptop appear unaffected, they have not been changed to shortcuts nor have there been any random shortcuts appearing. I've run Malwarebytes to do scans on both my laptop and the USBs but nothing turned up.

As such, I'd like to enquire if:
1) Are the two USBs infected with any trojan/virus?
2) Is my laptop infected?

Edit: My laptop now keeps receiving "Windows Explorer has stopped working" messages, and have difficulties connecting to the internet. It also keeps switching to use a proxy instead. My windows firewall and Symantec Endpoint protection has also been disabled and I can't turn them on anymore.

Many thanks and much appreciation for your help!

Regards,
Iris

Edited by Iris17, 03 July 2013 - 10:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users