Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files open as read only on mapped computer.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jessicas

jessicas

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

I have a shared folder on an XP Pro machine that I would like to access from a windows 7 Pro machine. I was able to map the windows 7 machine to the XP no problem but now any document that I open opens as Read Only. I have even given full permissions but still no go. The weird part is that this was working before and about 2 weeks ago I started having the Read Only problem. Any insight into how I can give back full control to the Windows 7 computer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

Off the top of my head I cannot think how it might have happened, but have you checked to see if the files on your XP machine are set to 'Read only' ?

If they are it is fairly simple to set them back to 'Read / Write' status, but as far as I know, you can only do it from the XP machine. You can reset them very easily using Windows Explorer ( either right click on the start button and 'Explore', or 'Start / Programs / Accesories / Windows Explorer in XP ). If you right click on a folder you will get a contextual menu at the bottom of which is 'Properties'. Click on this to open the dialogue box. At the bottom, you will see 'Attributes' with a tick box beside it. The tick in it is normally gray. Click twice on this to set it to black, click 'Apply' annd let it run through the applying process. Then click once more on the tick box to clear it and click 'Apply' again. This will set all the files in the folder to 'Read / Write'.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users