Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop - Operate with or without battery?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

ASUS laptop K52F, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I always operate my laptop using AC power. Should I leave the battery in the laptop while on AC power or is there any advantage to operating the laptop without the battery? Would the laptop run cooler without the battery?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

If you always run the laptop on A/C with the battery installed, you will shorten the battery life. Whether you run the computer with or without the battery won't make a difference in operating temperature.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

I never paid much attention to laptop batteries until we had to replace the one in my wife's - nearly £ 50 UK. The replacement came with a very well written instruction leaflet, particularly the section on 'Prolonging battery life'.

Essentially, it said for maximum battery life, the battery and the charger should only be connected at the same time for the purpose of re-charging the battery; if you used the laptop for significant periods running on the charger, you should remove the battery; and, interestingly, about once a week or so you should use it on battery power only until the battery is almost out of charge - then re-charge it.

I'm not sure that this has changed her habits, but in the two years she has had the laptop the original battery capacity had fallen to about 30% of what it was when it was new.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users