Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hp pavilion dv6110us

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:11 AM

Recently installed windows 7 on it.  It has 2GB RAM.  Anyways, the computer still is slow and i know its not viruses cause i just installed windows 7 on it.  I did notice though that after about half an hour of being on the computer feels quite hot right above where the hard drive is located (left side of the laptop).  Could it be heat that is causing the computer to respond slowly?  

If I clean out the fan and the heat sink assembly, I woulld have to reapply thermal paste.  I can reapply it to the cpu, but should I remove the thermal pad from the GPU and replace it with thermal paste, and if so, how do i increase the thicknesss so that the gpu still makes contact with the heatsink>?  The gpu is usually less thick than the processor and this thickness is make up by the thermal pad, but if I replace the thermal pad with thermal paste then how would i make up the thickness)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:42 AM

If the system came with thermal pads and no paste, it's not really recommended to replace the thermal pads with thermal paste, or apply the thermal paste in addition to the pad. However, HP laptops have a reputation for running hot, and the thermal pads that come installed seem to do a mininal job of drawing off heat from the CPU and GPU. Try replacing the pads with new, higher grade pads after you've thoroughly cleaned all the lint, dust, etc. from the vents and the heat sink.

If you are determined to replace the pads, you'll need to replace them with copper shims. Trial and error will determine what size to use. Apply thermal paste to both sides of the shim. Be sure to use a thermal paste that has low electrical conductivity, as I'm assuming the heat sink is also copper and you don't want to create any unnecessary electrical paths in your system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users