Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updated?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 qwerty654321

qwerty654321

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:55 AM

A few weeks ago I took my computer to Geek Squad and the lady put a USB in and checked it with whatever they use for the free computer check and it said a few hardware were out of date. So I went to Device Manager and individually every single one I checked for update and they all did not say anything about being needed to be updated. She also said my computer was actually running very well. Whatever they used to check it said it was like 95/100 or something but I think there is something wrong with it because it does not rum smoothly. Anyway, sorry, I got a bit off topic. I guess about it not running smoothly, I should post it somewhere else? How can I make sure all of my hardware (and ever software) is fully up to date?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

Was it not running smoothly before you had Geek Squad check it out? Can you be more specific about what you mean by not running smoothly?

If it was fine before you took it to Geek Squad, when did this start?

#3 qwerty654321

qwerty654321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

Was it not running smoothly before you had Geek Squad check it out? Can you be more specific about what you mean by not running smoothly?

If it was fine before you took it to Geek Squad, when did this start?

It was not running smoothly before I went to Geek Squad. What I mean by not running smoothly is, like, it takes it's time.. I apologize. I am not sure exactly how to explain. It goes a bit slow, kind of freezes sometimes. More times than I would like it to. Um, it seems to be like it is overworking itself even when I am not really even doing anything..

#4 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

To start with the basics, you should look at how much memory, physical RAM I mean, is installed in the system, then use Task Manager's performance tab to see how much RAM is being used by the system. If memory usage when the system is at idle is close to, or exceeds the installed RAM, your computer is going to be swapping lots of page files to and from the hard drive, and that's going to cause serious performance issues. I think even a Windows XP system needs at least a Gigabyte of RAM these days, because there is a lot of software running in the background (auto updaters, etc) that isn't immediately obvious, and all this stuff uses a significant amount of RAM. If you run msconfig, you may find that there are items you can disable; you don't really need some services like Quicktime constantly running in the background, for instance. Unfortunately, malware is always an option when a system seems to under perform, but I'd suggest looking at hardware issues first, since they are generally clear and easy to fix.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users