Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Stick Capacity?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WitsEnd

WitsEnd

• Banned
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 01:33 PM

Hello,

I have a Sony digital camera that also records MPEG video, right now I only have a 16MB memory stick and can only record 42 seconds of video.

So, I'm trying to do the math and figure out how long I can record on a 1 gig stick. I'm terrible at math and would like some one to help confirm my figures. What I did is divide 42 seconds by 16 that equals 2.625 seconds per meg. Yes, no?

then I multiply 2.625 x 1000 megs and get 2,625 seconds of video, I divide that by 60 sec per minute and get 43.75 minutes of recording time.

Does this sound right? I know there are other things that factor into the recording time and it won't be exactly that but will be plus or minus a small amount, but if my math is right then that would be a good ballpark figure right?

Yes, no, not exactly?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 02:26 PM

Hello,
What you have done is fine, except that there are 1024mb in a gb.
So..
2.625 x 1024 = 2688

Once again, devide it by 60..
2688/ 60 = 44.8

Therefore, you will have roughly 45mins of recording time.

I know it's not a big difference, I'm just picky :thumbsup:

Charles

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 WitsEnd

WitsEnd
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:47 PM

Great, that is one of the things I wasn't sure about, how many megs in a gig, someone told me there were a millioin megs in a gig and that didn't sound right. Good to know the exact count.

Thanks for the math check!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:52 AM

Hope this clears this for you.

- One kilobyte, kB, of storage is 1024 bytes (not 1000).
- One megabyte, MB, is 1024^2 or 1,048,576 bytes.
- One gigabyte, GB, is 1024^3 or 1,073,741,824 bytes.
- One terabyte, TB, is 1024^4 or 1,099,511,627,776 bytes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:49 AM

When you buy a decent camera like the one you have the camera is preset normally for a pretty large photo file. if you down size the photo type tou will get up to 4000 photos on a gb but will get 2000 photos at a very reasonable quality too, i just think large pics are normally a waste of space because they are rarely req for most apps..

Brian

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:49 AM

When you buy a decent camera like the one you have the camera is preset normally for a pretty large photo file. if you down size the photo type tou will get up to 4000 photos on a gb but will get 2000 photos at a very reasonable quality too, i just think large pics are normally a waste of space because they are rarely req for most apps..

Brian

I agree that most application do not need the resolution, but you can alway scale down to fit. If you did take the picture at a high enough resolution, you cannot go back and use what is not there. It is much easier to trim away than to add on.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users