Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet gets really slow after the pc has been on for 12 hours or more.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chillie

Chillie

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:01 PM

I always leave my pc on, but the last few weeks I've noticed that after 12 or so hours the internet gets slower and slower. According to Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, and Spybot I am totally clean. 

So what else could be causing this and how can I fix it? I looked up slow internet after being on for a day and it said something about a possible memory leak. 

Could this be the problem? Please help me out guys. I know it's not my system, here are the specs. 

cpu-i7-2600k @ 4.5

mb-Asus P8P67 Deluxe

memory-Corsair Vengeance low profile (16gb)

hdd-Western Digital Caviar Black (1tb)

ssd-Sandisk Extreme (240gb)

video card-Nvidia GTX 780

psu-Antec True Power Quattro (850w)

cpu cooler-Thermalright Silver Arrow

case-Antec 1200

Please let me know what I can do to fix this, thanks guys. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:10 PM

How many browser windows/tabs do you have open? If you have a lot, then that can sometimes overload a computer, especially if some of those pages have animated ads, etc.

Which browser are you using? Have you tried a different browser to see if the same things happens with other browsers?

Does the slow down occur at a common time of day? Or is anytime of the day, but just about 12 hours after you turn on the computer? If it happens at a specific time of the day, then what kind of an Internet connection do you have? Is it a cable modem?

You might also want to mention which version of Windows you are running. It may not matter, but it certainly does not hurt and it might help at some point.

#3 Chillie

Chillie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:23 PM

After about 12 hours or so I'd guess I've opened and closed 50 windows. I'm using Chrome now, but IE 10 did it too. 

No specific time of day just after the pc has been turned on longer than 12 hours or more. I have AT&T high speed dsl. Not sure the exact speed, but we pay $60 a month for it. 

I'm using windows 7 64bit. 

Edited by Chillie, 02 July 2013 - 11:24 PM.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:26 PM

After about 12 hours or so I'd guess I've opened and closed 50 windows. I'm using Chrome now, but IE 10 did it too. 
No specific time of day just after the pc has been turned on longer than 12 hours or more. I have AT&T high speed dsl. Not sure the exact speed, but we pay $60 a month for it. 
I'm using windows 7 64bit.

It is more if you still have those 50 windows open. If you generally only have a dozen or so windows/tabs open at one time, then it likely will not be an issue.

Have you tried cleaning the cache when this happens?

#5 Chillie

Chillie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:29 PM

I usually only have 3 windows open at a time. I meant I have opened and closed 50 windows in 12 hours or so. 

How do I clean the cache? 

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:31 PM

I usually only have 3 windows open at a time. I meant I have opened and closed 50 windows in 12 hours or so. 
How do I clean the cache?

This should be the instructions for Chrome:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95582?hl=en

Here is for IE 10:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260897

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users