I bought a TV tuner card in Oct. 2012, then 7 months later it stopped working. Hauppauge replaced the card, so I installed the new one and connected it to the TV cable - with the PC's power cord unplugged. When Windows Media Center (as well as NextPVR) failed to detect a signal, I suspected I might have plugged the cable into the wrong jack on the card (my signal is QAM, and the card has another jack for an antenna signal). With the PC's power on and Windows running normally, I unplugged the cable and put it into the other jack. As I did so, I felt a small electrical shock.
I continued to feel shocks from the TV cable whenever (even weeks later) I touched the wire end that otherwise would have been plugged into the tuner card. I suspected that my previous landlord might not have properly grounded the TV cable, thus charging the wire, so I waited to see if the tuner would work after I moved to a new apartment on 7-1-13. Not only does the card still not work, but I still get shocked when I touch the metal connector while it is plugged into the tuner card. The difference is that when the TV cable is not plugged into the card on the PC, I do not feel an electrical shock coming from the unplugged cable the way I did at my previous apartment. However, if I touch both the end of the unplugged TV coax cable and the PC's metal case, I feel the shock just as if the cable was connected to the tuner card.
Is it likely that I fried both the original and the replacement TV tuner cards? It seems to me that if improper grounding of the TV cable caused the problem, then I should no longer feel a shock in the new apartment (unless by coincidence BOTH places have faulty grounding, but I know the current apt's wiring was done by a Comcast electrician).
Is it more likely, as I suspect, that the shock is coming from my PC's power supply unit? My understanding is that Cyberpower installed some cheap PSUs on PCs like mine, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is to blame.
I haven't yet gone back to Hauppauge, but I'm afraid they might not replace the card again. Either way, I need to fix this problem before installing a new card.
I might decide to upgrade my video card a year or two from now, possibly with a Radeon 7790 or equivalent, which requires 500W. I am considering a CORSAIR Builder Series CX600, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028 . Do I need a 600W max PSU to get 500W continuous, which I have read is required for the GPU? I don't even see specs on any websites for the continuous wattage of the PSUs they're selling.
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 Internal PCI Dual TV Tuner/Video Recorder 1387
CyberpowerPC Black Gamer Ultra GUA250
Power Supply: 480W (unknown make/model)
AMD Quad-Core FX-4100
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 (rev 1.0)
8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 SDRAM
1TB SATA II HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
Sound Card: Integrated Realtek HD
Case: Thermaltake Commander Mid-Tower
Windows 7 Home Premium
I will greatly appreciate any information and advice you can offer.