Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seeking Smartphone security advice;

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hunting.Targ

Hunting.Targ

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

Now that smartphones are so connectible (Bluetooth, Wi-Fi,, S-Beam), I'd like to get some opinions on security options beyond just malware protection.  I imagine that they can be infected with trojans, worms, and viruses the same way as PCs are (because they practically ARE PCs now).  So I ask:  What do you use (or recommend)?

Furious activity is no substitute for understanding.

-H.H. Williams

In a networked world, trust is the most important currency.
    -Eric Schmidt, University of Pennsylvania Commencement Address, 2009

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

Now that smartphones are so connectible (Bluetooth, Wi-Fi,, S-Beam), I'd like to get some opinions on security options beyond just malware protection.  I imagine that they can be infected with trojans, worms, and viruses the same way as PCs are (because they practically ARE PCs now).  So I ask:  What do you use (or recommend)?

If you are talking about an iPhone, there really isn't anything to install. Whether or not an iPhone is truly vulnerable or not (an entirely other topic/debate), the reality is that there are no "direct"/"automatic" malware/anti-virus programs/utilities available through the App Store...at least that I am aware of. There are some "manual" anti-virus/malware apps that you can use to manually scan attachments from emails, but they are more for the purposes of catching something that you might later forward to someone else using a computer or even if you transfer that file to your own computer. Thus, even if you believe that iPhones can get hacked/infected/etc, there is nothing really out there to install. As a result, the main security related things for an iPhone is that it you dramatically weaken the defenses of an iPhone if you jailbreak it (there may be anti-virus/malware programs available for jailbroken iPhones)...beyond that it is mainly an issue of physical security. Use some sort of "find you phone" service to help find it if you lose it, but more importantly to be able to lock and wipe it. Secure it with a passcode.

For Android, there are a number of anti-virus/malware type programs out there. When I had an Evo 3G, I used Lookout Security. It has been almost two years since that time, however, so I don't know how good it still might be (malware was a relatively minor issue back then...it is has become more of an issue these days). There are certainly other choices (some from the "big names" in the computer security world), but since I have not used any of them, I cannot really comment. Someone else might be able to offer an opinion.

As for Windows Mobile phones, I have no direct experience with them, so I cannot really help there. Same with Blackberry.

#3 Hunting.Targ

Hunting.Targ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for the context.  I currently have an Android phone running Ice Cream Sandwich, and I am using Norton products right now.  Part of why I asked is I am not completely sure if the free version of Norton Mobile Security provides virus and other malware protection, or protection against just adware and spamware.

For the record, I don't plan to ever use a Windows phone.

Furious activity is no substitute for understanding.

-H.H. Williams

In a networked world, trust is the most important currency.
    -Eric Schmidt, University of Pennsylvania Commencement Address, 2009

#4 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:31 PM

These days they aren't phones any more but rather computers that can make wireless calls.

These are two apps i use and they work great in combination with each other. I basically block everything I don't want running full-time and then have apps pop-up to ask to use the interent. While the firewall only lets the items I choose through.

LBE Security Master - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1422479

AFWall+ IPTables Firewall - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?s=14533850cd67b329a73fc8e5c968c6d5&t=1957231

#5 _dan

_dan

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:54 PM

These days they aren't phones any more but rather computers that can make wireless calls.

These are two apps i use and they work great in combination with each other. I basically block everything I don't want running full-time and then have apps pop-up to ask to use the interent. While the firewall only lets the items I choose through.

LBE Security Master - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1422479

AFWall+ IPTables Firewall - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?s=14533850cd67b329a73fc8e5c968c6d5&t=1957231

Greenify is an app which helps you to stop programs from running in the background (it "hibernates" them) even if the phone isn't rooted now (although its more convenient when the phone is rooted.) 

#6 nettechindia

nettechindia

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:08 AM

You can check out in the google play store there are many such application which helps to prevent from malware and all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users