Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Refurbishing Thinkpad 600E for fun

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blindnavigator23

blindnavigator23

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum. Hoping yall can shed some light on my situation.

I am refurbishing an old IBM ThinkPad 600E that I found in the dumpster (fun huh?). Anyway, I'm learning as I go and I made the rookie mistake of causing the hard drive to lock (didn't know the bios password and the manufacture backdoor password didn't work). Anyway, I was able to boot using a DSlinux CD image. The key here being that I have to pull the hard drive to boot.

What I would like to do is unlock the hard drive and format it for the installation of an OS. I thought maybe I could load a password cracker from a usb drive and get through that way. I can't actually boot with the hard drive installed so I was hoping to crack the BIOS password and boot to bios so that I could change the boot sequence. Is that an option?

If there is a shorter route, (i.e. a HD unlocking program or something similar) I would love to hear about it. Any ideas would be helpful!

BlindNavigator23

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

BlindNavigator23

Although I can't say for sure it sounds like you have a HDD lock, not a BIOS lock. I'm not familure with that model of laptop but usually when a BIOS password is used you can't boot anything without it. However using a hard drive password just stops you from using the HDD in any computer and stealing the data.

If another HDD is attached or using USB does that work?

With a laptop SATA drive I have been able to boot off a Linix distro or live CD and then right away hot swap, plug in the locked drive while laptop is running, and Linux has seen the drive and I was able to work with it. (This doesn't always help as depending on the HDD firmware or system BIOS it will still be locked when you try to boot off it again.) Remember, if it's a HDD lock it's in the HDD BIOS not the Laptop BIOS.

What I would do is the following; (Keep in mind this system you found could have a bad virus or rootkit and always protect your systems and hardware when trying to fix others equipment!)

1. See if you can read or use the HDD in another PC or USB enclosure.

2. See if another HDD or USB drive will boot or run when attached to the laptop. (Even a Live Linux Distro on USB would be fine.)

3. See if you can boot the system from a live linux distro and then plug in the HDD while it's starting up so that it initiates the drive later in the process and by-passes the lock.

Depending on the above results and the desired outcome or expectations you can now proceed in a few different directions.

Good luck.

Zen

#3 blindnavigator23

blindnavigator23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

Thanks, It does seem to be a HDD lock. I am able to boot with DSL but only without the HDD attached. If I have the HDD attached I cannot boot due to the password lock. I have also been able to boot with HIREN's boot cd and plug in the HDD after boot. Still no luck getting it wiped though. I can access the BIOS if the HDD is not connected and have been able to change the boot sequence to boot ONLY from the CD. However, as long as the HDD is attached, I still get stuck being asked for a password. So far the tools I have tried in HIREN's haven't been effective. Still working with it though. Let me know if you have any more suggestions. I will try connecting the drive to a desktop once I can get the hardware.

#4 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

The HDD lock is in the firmware/BIOS of the drive and is one of the few locks I've had little success bypassing/removing. You can try find the vendors site, WD, Seagate, etc, and flashing the firmware but that usually only worked on older drives.

Your best bet is to get a new cheap drive and replace it. A quick price check shows a 500GB Seagate sells for $50...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users