Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MacBook Pro won't boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TechyKelly

TechyKelly

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

Hello. I am working on a MacBook Pro that will not boot. I'm not positive but I believe it is a 2008 or 2009. It is a 15" and it's running Mountain Lion it is up to date at 10.8.4. 

I can hold down the option key and select a boot drive but it will not boot in any way shape or form (including safe mode, single user, etc). The farthest we get is to the grey screen with the dark grey apple. We have tried multiple things that I will list below:

Put in New memory.
Cloned and replaced HDD
Reset PRAM/NVRAM
Created a bootable flash drive

We did however attach the HDD to a different (newer) MacBook Pro through a USB and it was able to boot off of that. 

Any thoughts on what could be the issue? Any help would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:54 PM

Hello. I am working on a MacBook Pro that will not boot. I'm not positive but I believe it is a 2008 or 2009. It is a 15" and it's running Mountain Lion it is up to date at 10.8.4. 

I can hold down the option key and select a boot drive but it will not boot in any way shape or form (including safe mode, single user, etc). The farthest we get is to the grey screen with the dark grey apple. We have tried multiple things that I will list below:

Put in New memory.
Cloned and replaced HDD
Reset PRAM/NVRAM
Created a bootable flash drive

We did however attach the HDD to a different (newer) MacBook Pro through a USB and it was able to boot off of that. 

Any thoughts on what could be the issue? Any help would be great.

Have you tried booting into Recovery Mode? Or is that part of the "etc" when you said "(safe mode, single user, etc)? Here is an Apple document explaining how if you do not know:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718

Edited by smax013, 02 July 2013 - 10:55 PM.

#3 TechyKelly

TechyKelly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:00 AM

Hello, and thank you for the reply.  Yes, that would be included in the etc (sorry for the confusion).  We tried every key combination for the different boot options (even printed off a list of all the different possibilities to be sure we didn't miss any).  Since posting my original question we have also tried resetting the SMC. 

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:55 AM

Hello, and thank you for the reply.  Yes, that would be included in the etc (sorry for the confusion).  We tried every key combination for the different boot options (even printed off a list of all the different possibilities to be sure we didn't miss any).  Since posting my original question we have also tried resetting the SMC.

If you cannot boot off of an external drive or a new internal drive and new RAM does not help, then it tends to suggest some sort of significant hardware issue.

Since you said you tried all the various boot up key options, you likely have tried to do the Hardware Test option. If not, then here are the instructions:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

If you cannot run that test, then it might be time to take the MacBook Pro to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Tech.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users