Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvidia

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Enriqe

Enriqe

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

I've had a theory for a little while now and I finally had the time to try it out and I thought I would share it with you folks here.

I've been using Nvidia graphic cards now since 2004, and to be honest the only reason I still use them is for Adobe products, and they do seem to be a little more advanced than the others. Ever since my first purchase the video cards work great when you first install them, then after about six months or so they always start to crash or blue screen the computer. So, now your motivated to download the latest driver.

After about 6 months ... the same stuff all over again. Nvidia driver failed and was restarted ... then later the bsod's at start up. Way back when I went to their forums for help and I found their answer to the problem with the uninstall method "good grief"

It really seems crazy to me to go through all of their ridiculous steps in order for the new driver installation to work right. I'm talking about the uninstall these folders, then some of the program, then the driver, then the rest of the program, then use driver sweeper or the later version, then boot in safe mode .... Why cant the make software that uninstalls itself? They spend all that money on tech and none on the driver? or so it would seem.

Well anyway, my theory was, all of this must be a sales tactic, and they make the drivers fail after a certain amount of time on purpose.

So the last time I "Properly" installed the driver I blocked all Nvidia access to the internet. So far it has been around seven months and no bsod's. I have had one or two crashes but nothing like you would normally. I don't know if it's a fluke or not, but this is whats happened.

Sincerely

E

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lti

lti

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

I thought Nvidia drivers automatically updated. I've had a lot of bad luck with updating drivers when the old version still works. I always get a broken update that contains enough bugs to make the entire computer unusable for any purpose. I sometimes have to format the hard drive and reinstall Windows to get the computer to work properly again.

I've found that all graphics drivers have issues, but Nvida's drivers are slightly worse than the others. I saw one computer where installing the Nvidia graphics driver reduced performance so much that even moving the mouse caused the CPU usage to jump to 100%. It was impossible to watch videos or play games. The driver also would not allow a widescreen monitor to run at its native resolution. Nvidia claimed the card didn't support any widescreen resolutions, but it worked perfectly with the built-in Windows driver.

#3 Enriqe

Enriqe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:19 PM

Hello lti,

They do update automatically by default, but when I started having trouble with them I went to their forums. They have a sticky post that says to deactivate the auto-update, and do the update manually this other way instead. The reason was, the driver won't fully uninstall itself before installing the new one, and that apparently, is what causes most of the problems.

That's wild about the mouse and CPU usage thing. I've never owned a different graphic card brand, so I really wouldn't know how the others do. But I never hear anyone having that much trouble with them.

Well, since everything is going to the cloud, it probably won't be long before graphic cards become obsolete. 

#4 lti

lti

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

I've had issues with all brands of graphics cards. I had a laptop with a VIA chipset that would crash when running some games and another laptop with Intel graphics that decreased in performance after updating the driver. My desktop computer has SiS graphics, and it has some weird driver issues. Sometimes the image will be smaller or brighter than it should be. When the picture is small, there are black bars around all four sides of the screen, and Windows will show the correct resolution in the display properties. I bought an ATI video card once, and I couldn't even get the drivers to install. I think the disc was missing files, but I never tried installing different drivers.

#5 Enriqe

Enriqe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

I suppose they all have their own drawbacks ... huh

#6 Enriqe

Enriqe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

Ok ... Originally I blocked internet access for all Nvidia software with my firewall and everything ran great. Yesterday I allowed access and today BSOD the first one in 8 months. There definitely has to be something to this. 

#7 Enriqe

Enriqe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:28 AM

Last update I promise ...

just in-case anyone else out there has as much trouble as I have with the Nvidia drivers. 

Back in August, after fully cleaning the drivers off the computer (using Driver Fusion and the instructions from Nvidia forums), I re-installed without the Nvidia (auto Update) and without the (HD sound) drivers. They give you these options in the instillation manager. This seems to have fixed the problem altogether, just like when I blocked the access to the internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users