Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is It Possible To Clean Registry Manually Or Do You Have To Purchase Software

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 puterhater

puterhater

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:44 PM

My computer is slow and needs it's registry cleaned. I've been looking for free software online and can't find any. So is it possible to clean it without software,(manually)?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:48 PM

Certainly you can edit your registry to going to:

Start > Run > type "regedit" (without the quotes)

This will bring up the registry editor.

I would not recommend you making any changes to your registry unless you are an expert! And no offense inteded here, but if you have to ask how to open the registry editor then my guess is you are not an expert. Please seek expert advice as to what parts of the registry to change. We have several experts here that would be willing to offer advice!

Let us know the problems you are having and maybe we can help.

Now, the obligitory warning:

Posted Image
Do NOT make changes to your registry unless you have a good backup first!

HOW TO BACKUP THE ENTIRE REGISTRY IN WINDOWS XP

Start > Run
type "regedit" (without the quotes). This will open the Registry Editor.
File > Export
Choose a location where you want to store your backup. Choose an easy to remember location, such as on your desktop.
Give it a easy to recognize name in File Name such as: regbackupMONTH with MONTH being the current month.
Save as type: Registration Files (*reg)
Export Range: All
Click on 'Save'

A copy of your registry will now be saved on your desktop and will look like this:
Posted Image

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 puterhater

puterhater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2006 - 01:01 PM

Exactly, I"m no expert when it comes to computers. I just know my registry hasn't been cleaned, EVER.
I want to give my computer a "tune-up" without spending money. (Husband is being thrifty right now)
Any advice?

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2006 - 01:09 PM

Are you having problems? If so, what are they?

There are ways to 'clean' up the registry, but they are not really necessary unless you are having issues, like error messages, virus infections, etc.

There are programs out there that are available, even on a trial basis so you wouldn't have to spend any money, but again if you don't know what you are doing you can end up deleting something you really need in order for Windows to work properly.

I would suggest we just deal with whatever issues you have with your computer and leave the registry alone! :thumbsup:
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#5 puterhater

puterhater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2006 - 01:17 PM

It won't defrag. Sometimes it will. Sometimes it won't. I'm about ready to destroy this darn thing.
My kids want to use Kazaa. That won't run/connect either.

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:03 PM

Please go to Start > My Computer > right click on C: > Properties

Tell us the numbers for used space and free space.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#7 Mofficer

Mofficer

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:14 PM

If you know what you need to clean up you and use Registrar Lite and its search function to find old registry files and remove them. This is a great tool when dealing with virus and spyware registry files, and pretty much anything else you'd want to do with the registry.

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:31 PM

The registry is like a jungle. It is the bones of your computer. When you change the look of the desktop, you change something in the registry. New programs add to the registry. If they're well-written, they will remove all their bits and pieces from the registry when they are uninstalled.

But manually playing in the registry, or letting some registry tool play there, can be computer suicide.

The best way to clean the registry? Re-install Windows from scratch. And sometimes, if you use a registry cleaner, that's what you'll have to do to get it to run. :-)

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:23 PM

Kazaa, or any other peer to peer file transfer program is a very dangerous kind of program to allow children to use. It is not because your registry needs cleaning that Kazaa wouldn't connect. It was more likely security settings in your browser and firewall, and you are probably very lucky it prevented you from setting up the P2P ap.

First of all, there are the copyright issues. Many parents (and grandparents) have been sued by companies in the recording industry for downloading copyrighted songs without paying for them from a legitimate source (piracy). It is not a good position to allow yourself to be placed in. It can be very expensive for you, and "I didn't know" is not accepted by the courts as an excuse.

Secondly, P2Ps are one of the most likely sources of having your computer become infected by malicious code - viruses, trojans, etc. In using P2Ps you are actually networking with everyone else who is accessing the P2P and some of those using it are more interested in infecting your computer and/or stealing personal information like banking records, etc, from it than they are sharing songs.

Do not use those programs or allow them to be used on your computer, especially by children.

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:08 AM

Right, Enthusiast, I forgot to mention Kazaa. At many sites, you can't even get help until you remove it because they know that you will soon be re-infected.

#11 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:34 PM

Hello, I am an advocate of not messing without he registry to try and clean it out. Number one it is dangerous to try to manually clean it even by a professional and even they charge up the kazoo for it. However there is a program that will do the job for you and it is at the link shown.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

If you use this it is free to use and please read all you can on the site about how to use it. I would suggest running it using the defaults that it is set up with.

#12 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:23 PM

Warning

Always be sure to create a backup of the registry before any editing is done.
This includes cleaning the registry with CCleaner!
Posted Image

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:51 AM

"Cleaning" the registry - altering it - when it is not causing specific problems even with aps like CCleaner which seems to cause less problems than others still does not mean it is completely safe and innocuous to do.

Unless you are having specific problems caused by innacuracies in the registry LEAVE IT ALONE!

If you do insist on messing with it create a backup that you can revert to every time you do it.

If you scan through the threads of people seeking help here, many, many of these are caused by their screwing with the registry. Do so at your own peril, and if you do, be prepared and ready to reinstall your op system when it becomes necessary.

Therefore have all the things that will be necessary to reinstall your op system before altering the registry and keep your data fully backed up and restorable. - your boot disks, your Windows Installation CD (slipstreamed to SP2 if applicable), your motherboards driver cd, your graphics and sound card driver cds (if applicable), your data backups, your Windows XP 25 digit key and all your installation cds for your programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users