Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Stop:0x00000024

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 shar987

shar987

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

Hi,

Hope you can help,

I had been using my pc today without a problem but when i came back to it, my screen was in powersave mode and I couldn't get it to come on, checked cables etc as i had just swopped over my broadband box.  I then turned off the pc and when I turned it back on, I got a blue screen stop error which was stop:oxoooooo50 - page fault in non-paged area - error seems to be in ntfs.sys file.

I rebooted to get into f8 and selected last know good configuration but got the blue screen again  this time stop:0x00000024

ntfs.sys - Address F75c3265 base at F7591000, Datestamp 48025be5

Could someone advise what I need to do please?

Many thanks,

S

Sorry its XP on a Dell Dimension 3100 and I have service pack 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 shar987

shar987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

Hi,

Yes, i can boot to safe mode...

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:04 AM

Hi

Please follow the below steps and let us know the result.

1 )As with any blue screen issue, verify the health status of your RAM. You can use a freeware tool named Memtest86 to test the memory modules.Follow the instructions in the below link and run Memtest86 for at least 7 or more passes. More passes will give more accurate result.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html

2 ) If the RAM didn't show any errors during the test, boot the system in to safe mode and copy the crash dump files located inside C:\Windows\Minidump folder to a temporary folder. Zip the folder and upload to a free file hosting site like the ones given below.

http://www.mediafire.com

https://www.box.com/

Also generate a system info report  file and upload it with the dumps. To do that,  enter msinfo32 in the run (Windows key + R ) dialogue. Click file --> Save and name it system info and upload it with the dump files. Post the download link to it in next reply.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 04 July 2013 - 05:20 AM.

#5 shar987

shar987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

Ok thanks, am running memtest now,,,since earlier today

#6 shar987

shar987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:56 AM

am running memtest just 24 hrs now - am not realy sure how many tests it has done or if i have errors - it is still running  - where can i check for errors?

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:50 AM

Hi

Did you see any red lines in the screen ?

An example failed RAM :

memtest.jpg

Also look at the the number in the Errors column. An ideal RAM will have zero errors.

An example good RAM :

92282d1282320804t-ram-test-memtest86-cap

If the RAM appears to be good, please upload the crash dumps and system info according to the instructions in mu previous post. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 04 July 2013 - 07:54 AM.

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

You said, in response to dc3's question:

Yes, i can boot to safe mode...

Enter Safe Mode and perform a system restore to a date immediately before this BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death). The fact that you can enter safe mode usually means that either you have a corrupted driver, or possibly a piece of equipment failed that prevents standard boot, but the computer will boot if that piece of equipment is by-passed.

System Restore in Safe Mode:

**Click Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore.

**In the System Restore wizard, check the option to "Restore my computer to an earlier time" and click next.

**In the calendar that appears, choose a restore point as described above and click next. When the operation is complete, your computer will restart and it will tell you that the system was restored. You will not lose any programs or data.

>First, provide the information that Anshad requested.

>Do you have a full XP system disk, or only a restore disk or a restore partition on your hard drive?

>Do you have a separate video card installed, or integrated video (video runs from the motherboard)?

>Have you installed, within the last couple of days, any new software, installed any new equipment, etc?

Edited by ranchhand_, 04 July 2013 - 08:28 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 shar987

shar987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

Yes, I do have red lines but it is constantly scrolling and the 2nd screenshot you posted - I can't see down as far as the line where you have maked the red square,  tried using the up and down arrows but nothing happened

the last line on my screen is

chipset: Intel i915P/G....

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

Hi

That is bad news ! . You got either a defective RAM or a defective memory slot (less likely ). We need to find out the failing module. Please follow the below steps.

1 ) Power down the system and remove all RAM modules except one. Now try to boot the system in to normal mode. If you are getting blue screen, that module might be faulty. Remove it and plug the other one. If you can successfully boot, stress test the system by playing movies or games. This way you can find the faulty module easily.

2 ) Once found the bad one, replace it with a same model module. If not available, try to get a speed matching module from the same maker.

Caution : Touch your hand in an unpainted metal part of the cabinet to discharge static electricity before working inside the system. Take care not to touch the gold plated pins of the memory modules. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 04 July 2013 - 09:31 AM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

To add to what has been suggested, when you find a module which works try it in the other slots to rule out the possibility of a bad slot.

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer, this information will give us a better understanding of what you have installed.

The below is for those who cannot get online with the computer Speccy was run on.

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present. 

I've posted a larger picture of the second one posted previously, it is too small to see detail.

memtest1_zps7be717f5.png

I can't see down as far as the line where you have maked the red square,  tried using the up and down arrows but nothing happened

If you are running in Safe Mode this would explain why you can't see the entire picture.  When in Safe Mode Windows uses a native graphics driver which make everything larger, causing some images larger than what the screen can display.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 shar987

shar987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:46 AM

Thanks Anshad,

I will try that now and report back

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

Yes, I do have red lines.  I can't see down as far as the line where you have maked the red square

If you cannot see far enough down to see the the word Pass framed in red you will not be able to see the errors as which are below that.

Edited by dc3, 04 July 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#14 shar987

shar987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

Oh - I thought the red scrolling lines in the center were the errors? 

I've just removed one ram stick now and it has booted normally though it is now hanging when i went to connect to the internet...

#15 shar987

shar987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

just trying to run Speccy now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users