Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD Randomly appears - I think it has something to do with ntoskrnl.exe

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ChiefChemE

ChiefChemE

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

Hello All,

I have been having problems with BSOD appearing when I try to sign into my User on the Windows login screen. I have looked at the minidump files using BluescreenView and the only consistent file is ntoskrnl.exe. I am assuming it is a bad driver somewhere, but have no idea which one. I did update my NVIDA Video drivers and thought that it was fixed for about 5 days, but the BSOD has returned. Any help is greatly appreciated. The following are my System attributes:

Model: ASUS CG5270

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300

Memory: 8 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GsForce GT 220

DVD/CD-Rom: ATAPI DVD A DH20A6S ATA Device

Network Adaptors: Ralink Technology, Corp.802.11n Wireless LAN Card, Realtek PCIe LAN Card

In addition, I attach my minidump files as a *.zip file for you review. Please let me know if you need any other information.

Best Regards,

Stephen

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

Hi

:welcome: to the bleeping computer forum.

All your dumps shows different stop codes. Generally i will suggest a memory test with  but in your case another issue caught up in my first. It seems that you either still installed or tried every single antivirus or standalone scanners available ! . There is a chance that clash between those are contributing to the crash.

Here is a summary of AV drivers currently present in your system :

pavboot64.sys - Panda ActiveScan Boot Driver

gfibto.sys         - VIPRE Antivirus driver

klflt.sys            - Kaspersky

klif.sys             - Kaspersky

avgrkx64.sys   - AVG

vsdatant.sys    - Zone Alarm

There are also a a number of other drivers related to these programs. Some of them are on demand scanners but may cause clash with AVG and Zone alarm so need to be removed completely.

Re-installing Windows is the best way to clean up this mess. But let us try to uninstall them first. Please follow the below steps.

1 ) Open Control Panel --> Prgrams and Features and uninstall every single antivirus program you can see (one by one , restart after each removal ). If you have difficulty booting in to the normal mode, try to uninstall them from safe mode

2 )After that, run the respective cleanup tools to remove leftovers and remnants. Run the below tools one by one.

To remove AVG and it's remnants -  http://download.avg.com/filedir/util/avgrem/avg_remover_stf_x64_2013_3341.exe

To remove Zone alarm components - http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/support/download/clean.exe

To remove Panda and it's remnants - http://www.pandasecurity.com/resources/sop/UNINSTALLER_08.exe

If you are used Panda cloud - http://www.pandasecurity.com/resources/sop/Cloud_AV_Uninstaller.exe

To clean Kapersky install - http://support.kaspersky.com/common/service.aspx?el=1464

To remove VIPRE components - http://www.sunbelt-software.com/support/VC/CS&VClean.exe

Run these tools multiple times to make sure all related drivers are gone.

3 ) Uninstall these problematic software.

Asus PCProbe Utility

Asus Ai Booster

Check how the system works after these steps. 

Also use memtest86+ to thoroughly test and verify the health status of your RAM modules. Follow the instructions in the below guide and run memtest for at least 7 or more passes. More than 7 passes is better but it may take several hours to complete. Please be patient while the test executes or run it at overnight.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 02 July 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#3 ChiefChemE

ChiefChemE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:43 PM

Thank you very much! I will get right to that. Hopefully this works as I really do not want to reinstall Windows :-). I will post on the success of this within the week as I am leaving town tomorrow.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

Hi

I will be around  :)

Take your time and post the results after completing the steps. 

#5 ChiefChemE

ChiefChemE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

Hell Again,

The following link no longer works, http://www.sunbelt-software.com/support/VC/CS&VClean.exe

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Stephen

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

Hi

Try this link instead

http://sunbelt-software.com/support/vc/VClean.exe

#7 ChiefChemE

ChiefChemE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

Quick Update, I was able to run the memtest86+ but only for 5 passes. It all checked out, but I plan to make time to run it for a full 7 passes today or tomorrow. Everything looked good when uninstalling all the antivirus software, all good reboots with no BSOD. Unfortunately, when I came back from my trip, it got hungup on reboot but did not generate a BSOD. I decided to go ahead and update the BIOS and one other driver for my network card. Please note, as I still wanted to have some sort of antivirus protection, I did install Microsoft Security Essentials as well.

Everything was OK for a few reboots until this morning, where I got a BSOD after I signed in and everthing had loaded (Dropbox, NVIDIA Settings Tool, Network Icon, Windows sidebar, etc.) When I got up to go into the other room and came back 10 minutes later I noticed it had rebooted. I attach the minidump file as a *.zip that was generated.

I will check back in after the Memory Test.

Thanks again!

Attached Files

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

Hi

I will look in to the new dump and keep you posted after doing that. It may take a while so in the meantime  please run the Memtest. Since you didn't get any errors after completing 5 passes, make sure to run the test at least 10 passes. More time you run it, more accurate will be the test.

#9 ChiefChemE

ChiefChemE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:19 PM

Hello,

I just finished running the memtest for 10 passes and did not receive any errors. It has just rebooted once since then and I did not get a BSOD and it did not hang up at the login screen.....yet. I will post again if I experience any more problems.

Thanks for your help and if you happen to see anything odd in that last minidump file please let me know. I really appreciate it.

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

Hi

The good news is, there are no third party AV drivers are present in the last dump. But there are some old drivers there which need to be updated. Occasional BSOD and freeze indicates there are still some works to do.

Please post a Minitoolbox result to list the installed software's in your PC.

Download MiniToolBox, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/ Save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark only the following boxes:

•List last 10 Event Viewer log
•List Installed Programs
•List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
•List Minidump Files

Click Go and copy / paste the result (Result.txt).

I will post the necessary instructions after reading the "Minitoolbox" output.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 08 July 2013 - 11:42 PM.

#11 ChiefChemE

ChiefChemE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

Three successfull reboots with no problems. I have noticed that it is taking longer to reboot, but it is not hanging up when logging on nor have I gotten a BSOD............so far, fingers crossed

correction, I should say full shut downs and then restarts, not reboots

#12 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

Hi

Make sure to uninstall the Asus PC Probe and any other Asus software came bundled with the system. Kernel mode drivers came with those programs are known to crash Windows. 

#13 ChiefChemE

ChiefChemE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

Do you happen to know what executable files/ drivers I would be looking for Asus PC Probe and any other Asus software? I have uninstalled all that I see in my program list, but want to make sure I get it all.

Thanks!

#14 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:15 PM

Hi

Asus PC probe and the AI suit are the main bloatwares. If you can post the Minitoolbox result i requested in the previous post, i can examine the full programs list and locate possible unwanted software.

#15 ChiefChemE

ChiefChemE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

Hello,

does anyone have a link to Minitoolbox?. Also, had about 12 good shutdowns/restarts until today, then the blue screen returned :-(

unfortunately, it did not record the minidump file.... any ideas?

Again, thanks for taking time to help me out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users