Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Keeps Turning Of! Can You Help?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 valbar

valbar

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:41 PM

Can anyone please help, we have been given a computer of someone which appeared to be working ok. So I have now loaded on windows xp as the pc had windows 98 on it. Then I downloaded avg, firefox and msn messenger. Now whenever we log on to the pc it completely switiches of for no apparant reason. It did however switch of before I added any programs.
I have taken the cover of and blown my hairdryer around the fan and yes it was full of dust however problem still appears to be happening. Some times it will let us on for 30mins or so but not very often.
Can anyone please advise me what I can do to make this pc work for us.

Thanks

valbar

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:56 PM

There can be several causes to this, but it sounds like it is heat related and that you were on the right track with trying to remove dust. I would want to be SURE that all the dust is out of this computer, all fans are operating, and air is free to move in, out, and around this computer. Sometimes that is all it takes. But if you have already done all of that in a thorough way and you still have the shutting down issue, then perhaps we should look elsewhere for the source of the problem.

I would strongly recommend using a can of compressed air that you can buy at any computer or office supply store, not the hair dryer.

Let us know.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:06 AM

This link may help you with Frankie's recommendation..

Cleaning the Interior of your PC
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 valbar

valbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:50 AM

thankyou for your fast response i will try both these and let you know how i get on.

Valbar x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users