Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build BSOD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of building a custom rig, and this is not the first I have done -- just the first I've had problems with like this.

-----------------------------------------------------------

1) Computer Specs:

NZXT Technologies Source 210 Computer Case (Black)

ASUS P8H61-M LX PLUS R2.0 LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-3570 Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570

Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003

Rosewill CAPSTONE Series 450W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply CAPSTONE-450

EVGA GeForce GT 640 2048MB GDDR3 Dual DVI, mHDMI Graphics Cards 02G-P4-2645-KR

Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMX8GX3M2A1600C9)

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (OEM) System Builder DVD 1 Pack

2) The Problem:

I originally would attempt to install Windows, but when I did so, it would BSOD with a variety of BSODs (STOP codes unavailable as this was a couple days ago). After this, I removed the PCIe graphics card and connected the display to the integrated graphics on the motherboard. After I did that, I was able to install Windows.

After installing Windows, I downloaded needed drivers, Microsoft Security Essentials, then downloaded and installed the first set of Windows updates and restarted the computer. After this restart, the computer gave me another BSOD. This repeated after restarting the computer multiple times. So, I decided to format the drive and do a fresh install of Windows.

After doing this fresh install of Windows, last night I downloaded and installed needed drivers, downloaded and installed Windows updates and restarted the computer. I got a quick BSOD, but after the computer restarted itself, I was able to boot into Windows. I continued downloading and installing Windows updates as well as Microsoft Security Essentials. After the second reboot, I got another BSOD and have been getting them since. I cannot access Windows.

Note: I have tried Startup Repair multiple times throughout all of this, and it has not worked.

I've been doing some Googling on similar issues, and it sounds like a bad chipset based on a couple other cases. That makes me think maybe I can get updated drivers for the chipset and that might solve the issue. I'm thinking either that or a bad RAM stick or HDD.

I have yet to perform a run of memtest86+, but will as soon as possible.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know. I need this machine working very soon.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LPTJared

LPTJared

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

Run Memtest and see if that doesn't fix it. If that doesn't work, if you could go give me the BSOD error # we can go from there.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

BSODs during installs- 2 major causes.  Majority-dirty install media (CD/DVD), followed closely by memory problems.

Now, I don't know why you got that high voltage memory, but make sure mem voltage is set for 1.65V.  Nothing wrong with trying to run it with one stick at a time to weed out a possible bad one.

EDIT:  Memtest works, if it is a big problem it can show errors, but don't depend on that for a 100% diagnosis.  Plenty of bad memory flies through Memtest without a hitch.

Edited by dpunisher, 02 July 2013 - 10:43 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. :)

--------------------------------------------------

Now, I don't know why you got that high voltage memory, but make sure mem voltage is set for 1.65V. 

Will do. Didn't know that was needed.

Nothing wrong with trying to run it with one stick at a time to weed out a possible bad one.

I will do that as well tonight.

I will be away from the machine until I get off work later tonight and will report back what becomes of verifying the voltage, the memtest, and running one stick at a time.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:23 PM

With random BSODs like this you have to test 1X1 until you are left with the only two untestable components, the CPU and Mainboard.  Definitely check out the hard drive; I use Seatools For DOS (free). In the site screen, click "DOWNLOADS" tab, then "Seatools For DOS". Burn it to a CD. Reboot with it in your drive. In the screen that appears, first check that SMART has (or has not) been tripped. Then click the upper left corner of the screen for the short test and let it run. It will notify you either Pass or Fail. This is from Seagate Corp. but will test all other drives, not just Seagate. If you have a power supply tester, test your PS.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

I removed one stick of RAM and now everything works fine.

It must have been that faulty stick of RAM.

Thank you everyone for your help! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users