Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HDD showing in Windows, but not in BIOS

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Kingbhoy

Kingbhoy

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

So im trying to restore from an External HDD however it is not showing up as on option in the BIOS, or on the recovery disk software to reboot from.

The drive works fine, if i boot up windows I can take things off it and put things on etc, shows in device manager and disk management fine too. I have tried changing USB port to see if that was the issue, so far no change1-confused.gif

Any ideas how to get this to appear in the BIOS?
Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:52 AM

An external drive will not appear in the BIOS equipment list. What is the recovery disk software you have? Normally that would enable you to create bootable recovery media. The external drive you have stored a backup on would then be read from the recovery environment when you boot from the recovery media e.g. CD

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Kingbhoy

Kingbhoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:01 AM

Thanks for the reply, thre recovery software im using is EaseUS Todo. Im running their softeware on a flash drive which boots fine, however then when searching for the backup I can only see the internal HDD and not the external HDD.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,962 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:20 AM

Is the flash drive simply a bootable OS with the Todo software on it, or is it Todo's own generated recovery media:

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/features/restore-system-with-bootableCD.htm

Also, what size and file system is the external drive holding the backup image?

#5 Kingbhoy

Kingbhoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

I created the flash drive with the Todo program which first formatted the drive, then added the boot software. The external drive is a 2TB Hitachi drive running NTFS, someone mentioned I might have created the bootable USB drive when the Ext HD was not connected. So il try that again and see if it helps.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,962 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

As long as it isn't an extra large GPT drive, I wouldn't have expected there to be an issue. Is the external drive already connected, and running if it's external powered, when the recovery media is booted? Is it Todo Home? I think the Home recovery environment is Linux based rather than WinPE, but again I wouldn't have thought that would cause that problem.

Maybe someone familiar with Easus can offer a solution, I use Acronis.

#7 Kingbhoy

Kingbhoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

Hm, I can only think its not showing up due to a lack of driver files when it boots in recovery. I assume Acronis doesn't store backups as .PBD files?

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,962 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:36 AM

True, Acronis uses its own TrueImage .TIB images.

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:36 PM

As a desperate measure, and if you have a complete image backup, could you copy the backup on your external to a slaved hard drive (no OS, just empty with only the backup on it) and perhaps the Acronis restore flash will see it then. I ran across this problem with Acronis several years ago, that's why I switched to Macrium Reflect.

[EDIT]: another option: could you re-create the restore disk using another computer and this time burn to a CD instead of a flash drive? Possibly it will work then. BTW - is your flash drive FAT32 or also NTFS?

Edited by ranchhand_, 02 July 2013 - 10:42 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#10 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:42 AM

Have you updated your backup software since your backup file was created? I've seen new versions of backup software fail to recognize files created by older versions, so that might explain why your recovery media doesn't see the external drive as containing a backup file. But if the external drive is formatted in NTFS, I can't see any other reason why your backup software would have a problem with it, unless the backup software isn't working correctly. I'm assuming you've verified that a backup file is actually created by the program?

I'm not familiar with the backup software you're running, and it couldn't hurt to contact their support. Just like Platypus, I've run Acronis for years on my own stuff and most of my client's computers.

Platypus, it's good to see you haven't fallen off the planet.

Edited by slgrieb, 03 July 2013 - 03:44 AM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#11 Kingbhoy

Kingbhoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:12 AM

As a desperate measure, and if you have a complete image backup, could you copy the backup on your external to a slaved hard drive (no OS, just empty with only the backup on it) and perhaps the Acronis restore flash will see it then. I ran across this problem with Acronis several years ago, that's why I switched to Macrium Reflect.

[EDIT]: another option: could you re-create the restore disk using another computer and this time burn to a CD instead of a flash drive? Possibly it will work then. BTW - is your flash drive FAT32 or also NTFS?

Have you updated your backup software since your backup file was created? I've seen new versions of backup software fail to recognize files created by older versions, so that might explain why your recovery media doesn't see the external drive as containing a backup file. But if the external drive is formatted in NTFS, I can't see any other reason why your backup software would have a problem with it, unless the backup software isn't working correctly. I'm assuming you've verified that a backup file is actually created by the program?

I'm not familiar with the backup software you're running, and it couldn't hurt to contact their support. Just like Platypus, I've run Acronis for years on my own stuff and most of my client's computers.

Platypus, it's good to see you haven't fallen off the planet.

Thanks for the replys!

To answer the first question, yes il try creating the boot on a CD instead of the flash drive, the flash drive is FAT32. :)

Slgrieb, I have checked the software versions and they are the same, both the external and internal HD are NTFS. If I can't figure it out il just copy the backup image to another internal HD and then try to restore from there, abit fiddly as id have to remove HD from one PC and insert into another, but better than no backup!

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:09 AM

the flash drive is FAT32

I'm just wondering if a FAT32 trying to read an NTFS is causing glitches. Yes, I know, it sees the other hard drives, but possibly an (external) FAT32 USB drive reading an (external) NTFS backup drive is causing glitches. I have seen stranger things.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,962 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:46 AM

FAT32 and NTFS are just systems for storing data, and perform no function beyond retrieving and saving their own contents. The operating system running at any given time determines what file systems are accessible. With the external and internal hard drives both being NTFS, but the internal drive only appearing, this should eliminate file system type as a cause of the problem. Overall, getting the backup image onto an internal hard drive may be the best way around it at the moment.

@slgrieb; Hi, I thought it was probably you posting under that name... :)

#14 Kingbhoy

Kingbhoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

So, thanks for all the help guys. In the end I ended up adding another interal HD and restoring the image from there...
It took 3 long nervous hours but it all seems to be back up and running now. Time to find some new backup software :)

#15 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

@slgrieb; Hi, I thought it was probably you posting under that name... :)

Yeah, nobody else wants it. The last time I was a victim of identity theft, it was returned the next day along with a sympathy card.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users