Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean installation issue.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Suede2

Suede2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:13 AM

I wish to restore my Dell Inspiron 1546 back to Factory Settings so it's like the day I bought it. However I have a slight problem in that I don't have the restore discs, and Dell wish to charge me £39.00 for the privilege of sending me some. I have tried re-installing from the recovery partition, however it doesn't give me the option to restore it. There should be an option to do this, but I seem to be missing it which apparently means I've either deleted the partition (Which I haven't) or it has been corrupted somehow.

Therefore I have no way of re-installing it back to the stage I want.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do? Or where i may be able to get a cheaper disc? Obviously I have a Windows 7 Home Premium license as that came with the Laptop, but I assume it is an OEM install so I assume I can't use a normal Windows 7 disc. Is that correct?

Any help or suggestions would be welcomed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:34 AM

Hi

:welcome: to the forum

Here is the official user guide of your model.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-15-amd_Setup%20Guide_en-us.pdf

According to the manual,you recover the OS either by using Dell data safe local backup from Windows or by pressing F8 during boot-up and select repair your computer option. For more info,read page 53 of the manual.

#3 Suede2

Suede2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:41 AM

I don't believe that Dell Data Safe Local Backup came on it, but I can double check at home.

The F8 thing is the problem I'm having. Press F8 and then after about 2 minutes it takes me to menu with 5 options, however it should have 6 and the bottom option is the one that according to videos on youtube etc I should use to restore it. I don't have the bottom option.

The option that I don't have is "Dell Factory Image Restore". 

Edited by Suede2, 02 July 2013 - 07:00 AM.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

Hi

Please upload a screenshot of the disk management of your system.

1 ) Open disk management by entering diskmgmt.msc   in the RUN dialogue ( Windows key + R )

2 )While disk management is maximized, press the print screen button.

3 )Open MS paint and press ctrl + V to paste the snapshot.

4 )save the image (as bmp file )and upload it to a free file hosting site and post the download link.

#5 Suede2

Suede2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

Will do when I get home.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

An alternative to taking a screen shot and posting the picture via a host you can use the Snipping to too capture the image and use the Attach Files feature to post the image here.

Please use the Snipping Tool to copy the image, you can find this tool in Accessories under All Programs.   After you have the image you will want to go to File and click on Save As, Pictures will open with this image, when it opens give it a name and save it.  

You can post this picture in your next post.  Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you made with the Snipping Tool, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png

Instructions for using the Snipping Tool

Use the Snipping Tool to copy an image, you can find this tool in Accessories under All Programs.  To use this have the image you want to copy on the desktop, click on Snipping Tool.  A small white cross (+) will appear on the screen, move this to the lower left corner of the image you want to copy, press and hold the mouse and slowly move it to the right and upwards.  You will see a red rectangle form around the image, when you have the image isolated that you want, release the mouse.  After you have the image you will go to File and click on Save As, Pictures will open with this image, when it opens give it a name then click on Save.  

Edited by dc3, 02 July 2013 - 10:46 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users