Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't start windows firewall

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 fuzzynumbskull

fuzzynumbskull

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

Hi, my nephews downloaded some games onto my mother's computer over the weekend.  They also downloaded W32/ZAcc-Inf-A and a few other viruses, which Sophos AntiVirus notified me of when I went to check something on her computer.

She has an HP Pavilion with Windows Vista 64 bit.  I don't have a reinstall CD but I do have a recovery partition but would prefer not to use it since the only problem with the OS is that the Firewall won't turn on.

Here is what I did thus far:

Ran Spybot S&D, removed the one adware entry it found.

Ran RogueKiller, Adwcleaner, SecurityCheck successfully.

Ran a full scan with Malware Bytes Anti Malware.  Nothing detected.

Adjusted the Services for DCom, DHCP to recommended settings as detailed in the forums.

Ran Windows Firewall Fix-it tool.

Rewrote the registry keys as shown in http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/434478/windows-firewall-doesnt-show-up-in-services-wont-turn-on/

Firewall Still won't turn on.  I'm wondering what to do next, please advise.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.

• Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
  • Do not reboot the computer, you will need to run the application again.
  • Post the log in your next reply.

Edited by InadequateInfirmity, 01 July 2013 - 09:37 PM.

#3 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:09 PM

1. Run the following command in the elevated mode, Run As Administrator...
netsh winsock reset

...restart the computer and try to enable the firewall.

2. Run the following command in the elevated mode, Run As Administrator.
sfc /scannow

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-security/windows-firewall-will-not-start-in-vista/9156a104-3c9e-43b2-bda2-afaf33c42102
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_firewall_diagnostic/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

Hello, you have a ZeroAccess infection and it cannot be repaired in this area.. You need to repost in a new topic by doing this.

Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:23 PM

@ Boopme Was trying to confirm the infection was still active with Rkill and if logs produced evidence then next step was to do as you have done. :)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

Please...follow the suggestions made by boopme, posting the new topic and requested logs in the same forum containing the Preparation Guide.

Once that is done, this topic will be closed, while you are assisted with your new topic.

Louis

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:31 PM

Now that you have help in the new topic , I will close this one.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users