Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compressing file does not change the size at all

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zlloyd1

zlloyd1

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

I am trying to compress a series of Flash projects tht I am working on for schooling into a single folder to psot it to my Professor, but even though I thought that send to compressed/zipped file made it smaller, compressions does not seem to change the size of the folder at all??

Before compressing it the folder is 12.2 MB, and after compressing it the zip file is 12,224 KB.... :nono: :nono:

Isn't the exact same size with no change whatsoever?? :scratchhead:

So, what is the point of compressing it if there is no change in size at all??

P.S. I would attach the folder and the zipped version here, except that they are both over the 10 MB limit in size, and zipping the folder changed nothing at all.... :exclame:

Someone PLEASE tell me what I am doing wrong here!! :love4u:

Edited by zlloyd1, 01 July 2013 - 08:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

I am trying to compress a series of Flash projects tht I am working on for schooling into a single folder to psot it to my Professor, but even though I thought that send to compressed/zipped file made it smaller, compressions does not seem to change the size of the folder at all??
Before compressing it the folder is 12.2 MB, and after compressing it the zip file is 12,224 KB.... :nono: :nono:
Isn't the exact same size with no change whatsoever?? :scratchhead:
So, what is the point of compressing it if there is no change in size at all??

P.S. I would attach the folder and the zipped version here, except that they are both over the 10 MB limit in size, and zipping the folder changed nothing at all.... :exclame:

Someone PLEASE tell me what I am doing wrong here!! :love4u:

Some files will compress quite a bit while others will not.

For example, if you take the SAME image and save that image to both a TIFF file and a JPG file...and then you use a compression program to compress both files. You will likely find that the TIFF image file compresses a LOT more than the JPG file. This is because JPG image file types already have built in compression...and compressing a compressed file is less effective (depending on how compressed the file already is...for example, there are varying levels of compression level for JPGs).

So, my guess is that your Flash projects are likely already heavily compressed.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

Flash data is already in a highly compressed state. So you're really unable to compress it much further. And even if you were able to compress it further the likelihood of data corruption and data loss would increase.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

spot on smax.... same as mpegs and mp3 won't compress again with any noticeable difference .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users