Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway restore ? ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:49 PM

A buddy had a few issues and a very slow system, alos it would open multiple instaces of the same pages in Firefox it passed Mbam, SAS and MSE.  He would get an occasional pop up about an Hkey having to close, in event viewer it showed a Microsoft fax issue though he never used it.  The long and the short after fooling with it for a couple of hours we decided to use the factory restore, we had two options destructive or non destuctive.  Needless to say we tried non destructive which gave us a back up.  Machine is running great with no issues!  Now our dilema is figuring out what we need to do to get the back up running.  The restore did away with quite a few third party software and a couple of his main program, my thinking is he needs to load the missing stuff then try to apply the backup.  I am not familiar with Gateway so I need some guidance.

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 01 July 2013 - 06:04 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

I don't really understand what's being asked.

Restoring a backup...versus restoring to factory defaults...is usually what I consider either/or...you do one or the other.

What software was used to make this backup?  That is what determines what can and what cannot be done...and when and how.

Louis

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,124 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

Gateways own, part of its restore.  When it was done we found the back up folder on the C drive, looking the contents over it appeared to have most all of his original stuff.  Just not sure how to go about getting working.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:39 AM

System model?

Louis

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,124 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

Louis I must thank you again for poking into this one!  I went over today to get the model, ended up getting everything running like a clock.  Never did get the model # would have had to extract it from its tight cabinet, I did recommend doing so to be able to give it a cleaning.  Temps are fine so I guess he can get away with it for awhile, he is super pleased with the speed improvement I left him smiling.

Phil

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:50 AM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users