Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Layman`s method of Cleaning the Traditional Keyboard

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

OK, you surf the web on how best to clean your keyboard and are met with a barrage of ways and means. This is what I did the other day :-

I first disconnected the power supply, then turned the keyboard upside down, shook it and lightly thumped the underside to get all the debris out.

Then I used Methylated Spirits. I cleaned the flat surfaces with a lightly soaked cloth, which did not take very long and afterwards used an old toothbrush to clean all the keys, sides  and  slots etc. I dipped the toothbrush in the Meths, pressed the bristles against the inside of the bottle to get the surplus off and finally just tapped the brush on a cloth. Then brushed away merrily.

No splashes or dripping onto the internal circuit board.

The result was very pleasing, I can now see all the key symbols clearly and it never took very long at all.

Edited by yabbadoo, 01 July 2013 - 05:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

Very nice, any ideas on a laptop keyboard? 

Craig

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

This is what I use on my laptop: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Cyber-Clean---Cleaning-Compound/9700723.p?id=1218169736217&skuId=9700723

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

How affecting is it Animal?

Craig

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

#5 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:25 PM

Very nice, any ideas on a laptop keyboard? 

Craig

Hi Craig,

Laptop keyboards ? Use a wire brush.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

As long as you don't flatten it too thin and get it caught on corners and are careful to gently press it between the keys. It does the job far better and quicker than anything else I've tried so far. Brookstone is selling it for a substantial savings right now. I think I got my jar for $9.99 at best buy about 2 years ago.

http://www.brookstone.com/cart/cart.jsp?_requestid=291706

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

Right okay, as I'm from the UK, i shall look for a similar product.

Thank you Animal

Craig. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users