Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to fix an external HDD. WD2500ML

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thibauld

thibauld

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:50 PM

Hi guys, 

A while back I wanted to reinstall windows, however my CD/DVD drive said pfffft and gave up, and being the lazy bleep I am I didn't want to go to the store so I used an external HDD to reinstall windows from. I don't know how I did it but I used some program to make it bootable and reinstalled windows from that external HDD. I think it changed the file architecture (?) and some other stuff.

It's a Western Digital WD2500ML.

I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Fast forward ~6 months later and here I am trying to reinstall windows again, still with no CD/DVD drive because I haven't used any disks since. The problem is the HDD is borked and kinda messes up my PC when I try to use it. A few months back I plugged it into my PC while I was in a skype call and the sound went kinda weird when it turned on, and a few seconds later we couldn't hear each other at all anymore. A lot of programs crashed as well and I think its screwing with some drivers. Either the rootkit that is on the PC that I am using (found that with help of this forum as well, the rootkit is the reason I am trying to reinstall) is messing up the HDD or the drive itself could be infected, however if I plug it in under windows and try to open the drive in windows explorer (hey, at least it shows up), windows explorer doesn't respond anymore and crashes almost right away.

Is there anyone that could help me fix the HDD? 

Thanks in advance, 

Thibauld

edit: Just tried to see if I could find it in disk management. It does show up and gives the (probably incorrect) size of the drive, but wont load anything (see Screenshot 1), and if I try to do anything with it I either get an error message or the window goes unresponsive.

When I unplug the drive, some information is displayed very briefly in the (previously empty) disk 1 part. I managed to get a screenshot of that  (SS2), but its likely false information.

If I try to open disk management while the drive is connected, nothing will show up, and on the bottom it will only display "loading disk configuration information".

Screenshots:

SS1: http://i.imgur.com/GqM20Js.png

SS2: http://i.imgur.com/iuht84Z.png

Edited by thibauld, 01 July 2013 - 07:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:05 AM

Sounds to me that the drive may have become corrupt and in need of reformatting.

With external drive connected, please open a command prompt as administrator and type:

diskpart

list disk

select disk 1

clean

create partition primary

format fs=ntfs quick

assign

exit

If the disk is other than 1; replace it with the number associated with the problematic drive. Please note that this will break partition tables and what-not and data can only be recovered via tedium....

Please let the community know how you get on?

Thanks

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

Check this out... How to Install Windows 7 Without the Disc | PCWorld

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 thibauld

thibauld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

Sounds to me that the drive may have become corrupt and in need of reformatting.

With external drive connected, please open a command prompt as administrator and type:

diskpart

list disk

select disk 1

clean

create partition primary

format fs=ntfs quick

assign

exit

If the disk is other than 1; replace it with the number associated with the problematic drive. Please note that this will break partition tables and what-not and data can only be recovered via tedium....

Please let the community know how you get on?

Thanks

Thanks! It's formatting now. It's slow but so far it's working!

Thanks, I will!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users