Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

software or hardware problem, how to determine.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sloboat

sloboat

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

having problems with an hp desktop running winxp media edition. not sure if it's hardware or software related, or both. is there a way to tell? i can post back with the symptoms if anyone can help. thanks. slo 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

Can you explain the issue to me please.

Lets go ahead and get some logs just in case.

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:

Flush DNS
Reset FF proxy Settings
Reset Ie Proxy Settings
Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Click Go and post the result.

Please go here and download Speccy run the program and when it is finished Hit File >>>>>>Publish Snap Shot>>>> A link will pop-up on your desktop please post it here in your next reply.

Download Autoruns and Autorunsc Unzip it to your desktop and then double click autoruns.exe After the scan is finished then click on File>>>>>>>>>>>Save The default name will be autoruns.arn make sure to save it as Autoruns.txt under the file type option. in other words make sure it is a .txt file instead of .arn Attach the text in your next reply.

#3 sloboat

sloboat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

i'm unable to boot up machine at this time, that's part of the problem. in order to start up i have to remove & reseat the memory sticks, then it will start up & work for about 12-18 hours then the monitor goes dark & i have to repeat the process to get it started again. sometimes the monitor shows "no signal" text when things shut down. slo

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

How about re-seating and cleaning everything while you are inside.

Unplug the tower open up the side.Get can of compressed air and blow out the machine and reseat the ram modules video card etc,see video Plug it back in and see how it goes.WHILE YOU HAVE THE RAM AND VIDEO CARD OUT BLOW OUT THE SLOTS THAT THEY PLUG INTO.ALSO BLOW OUT THE HEAT SINK.SEE VIDEO

Reseating your RAM, Video Card, and Hard Drive - YouTube

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

How about re-seating and cleaning everything while you are inside.

Unplug the tower open up the side.Get can of compressed air and blow out the machine and reseat the ram modules video card etc,see video Plug it back in and see how it goes.WHILE YOU HAVE THE RAM AND VIDEO CARD OUT BLOW OUT THE SLOTS THAT THEY PLUG INTO.ALSO BLOW OUT THE HEAT SINK.SEE VIDEO[/size]

Reseating your RAM, Video Card, and Hard Drive - YouTube

You might also try removing one of the RAM modules and see if that helps. If it does not, then put that one back and remove one of the other RAM modules. Repeat until either the computer works fine without a RAM module OR you have tried the computer with all the RAM modules removed at one point but still have the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users