Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

registry

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gefwiddo

gefwiddo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

hi everyone i was looking in my registry and came across 2 new items that i dont think was there,

they are ( lake ) and ( lav )? anyone tell me what they are for please cheers gef.

( i am in uk )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

You do not provide enough detail to allow us to help you. Where in the registry are you seeing these entries? Please provide as much detail as you can regarding this.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 gefwiddo

gefwiddo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:50 AM

thanks for your reply animal, hkey local/ software / and scoll down they are there, animal i think they are something to do with a download that i did with bs media player, but i have uninstalled said player since because it did,nt play my discs thanks again gef.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

FWIW:  It's normal for registry entries to exist for programs that have not been installed by user or have been removed by user, IME.  Sometimes, I poke around in there, but most times I just ignore the registry unless I have indications that I have a problem with the system relative to a specific registry entry.

Louis

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

It's never a good idea to go mucking around in the registry. Why? The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

And if you have been thinking about using a Registry Cleaner, think again after you read:
Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 gefwiddo

gefwiddo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

hi hamluis thanks for your input ( lake and lav ) are still in my registry but im not gonna worry about it everything seems to working ok, ps i,m 66 years young as well as we say in england tat ta for now gef.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

No problem :).

Age is not an excuse or a liability...unless someone wants to engagwe in physical activities that a younger muscles will always overshadow older muscles :)> A brain that has aged...is a repository of events/ideas/visions...that a younger person may never have...IMO, it's good to be 66 and moving rapidly toward 67 :).

Please take a look at the info provided by Quietman7...it's useful and instructive...and designed to produce...a better system user.

Happy computing :).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 July 2013 - 01:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users