Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HDD not recognized, even by Mobo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rojasrod

rojasrod

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

Hi there, any help will be greatly appreciated.

I have two external enclosures OWC Mercury Elite pro with Sata drives in them. They work fine in my friend's Mac, but my computer will not recognize them at all.

I am on a dual boot Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with Linux Debian 7 Wheezy 64 bit and neither operating system sees the drives at all.

On Windows 7 the Disk Management screen shows nothing. On the linux side, Gparted does not see them when scanned.

My Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-A75M-S2V set in AHCI mode, but the motherboard does not seem to detect the HDD, or maybe I don't know how to enable it. I have read the manual but it only explains the essentials.

product: GA-A75M-S2V ()
vendor: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
width: 64 bits
capabilities:
SMBIOS version 2.4,
DMI version 2.4,
32-bit processes

I notice that my operating system is 64 bit while the BIOS info says "32 bit processes".

I have two other external HDD that are being detected without any issues, one is an old technology (IDE?) and the other one is a pretty new Toshiba USB 3.0

I inherited the unrecognized enclosures from a friend that bought them for his Mac, and I see that they are being sold by a Mac specialized online store. I also notice that in the product page they call it "Raid Storage" and I remember that there was a Raid setting in the BIOS, but to be honest I don't yet understand the IDE AHCI RAID settings.

Here is my CPU info:

product: AMD A6-3670 APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
bus info: cpu@0
version: AMD A6-3670 APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics
slot: Socket M2
size: 800MHz
capacity: 3GHz
width: 64 bits
clock: 100MHz

Here is my Host Bridge info:

product: Family 12h Processor Root Complex [1022:1705]
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] [1022]
bus info: pci@0000:00:00.0
version: 00
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz

configuration:
latency: 32

thanks so much !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

Hi there, any help will be greatly appreciated.

I have two external enclosures OWC Mercury Elite pro with Sata drives in them. They work fine in my friend's Mac, but my computer will not recognize them at all.

I am on a dual boot Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with Linux Debian 7 Wheezy 64 bit and neither operating system sees the drives at all.

On Windows 7 the Disk Management screen shows nothing. On the linux side, Gparted does not see them when scanned.

My Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-A75M-S2V set in AHCI mode, but the motherboard does not seem to detect the HDD, or maybe I don't know how to enable it. I have read the manual but it only explains the essentials.

[snipped]

Are you hooking the drives up as an external drive? Or did you take the drive out of the enclosure and try the drive as an internal drive?

When you say the motherboard does not detect the hard drive, do you mean that the drive does not show in the BIOS? Or do you mean something else.

I assume the drives are formatting using Mac formatting. I don't believe that will prevent the drive from showing up in Disk Management, but I honestly don't recall. It has been a long time, if ever, since I hooked a Mac formatted drive up to a Windows computer. I suppose if I find some time, I might try it.

#3 rojasrod

rojasrod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

Are you hooking the drives up as an external drive? Or did you take the drive out of the enclosure and try the drive as an internal drive?

The simple answer is that I have them hooked up as external drives via USB 2.0

The long answer is that since things haven't been working out as external drives, I also tried hooking them up directly as internal drives but the power supply could not handle it. So I put them back in the enclosure.

When you say the motherboard does not detect the hard drive, do you mean that the drive does not show in the BIOS?

That's right.

I assume the drives are formatting using Mac formatting.

Some are, but I also bought a brand new drive just to test, and I encountered the same problem. So that can be ruled out as the culprit.

Thanks so much for taking an interest !

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:01 AM

How long ago did your buy them? I ask because those drives have a three year warranty. And OWC is VERY good about supporting their products (I buy from them regularly). So, you might try contacting them.

Also, which model of the enclosure do you have? The one with Firewire 400 and USB or the one with eSATA, Firewire, and USB? If it is the latter, you could try putting in an eSATA bracket that connects to one of your internal SATA ports and try it with the eSATA port.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816069

If it is the former, then you could consider try a Firewire card.

#5 rojasrod

rojasrod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

How long ago did your buy them? I ask because those drives have a three year warranty. And OWC is VERY good about supporting their products (I buy from them regularly). So, you might try contacting them.

I inherited them from a friend of mine, but you are right, I might as well contact them and see what they answer.

Your idea about the eSata connection is great, because if it works I will increase speed considerably. Is that a special cable?

Cheers and many thanks

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

I inherited them from a friend of mine, but you are right, I might as well contact them and see what they answer.

Your idea about the eSata connection is great, because if it works I will increase speed considerably. Is that a special cable?

Cheers and many thanks

Even if it is outside of warranty, they may still try to help you troubleshoot...just not replace the drive and/or enclosure if it turns out it is the problem.

Yes, an eSATA cable is a "special" cable. The link I provided will get you the bracket (assuming you can buy from NewEgg...i.e. in the US...but other places should have them as well)...it just plugs into one of your motherboard SATA ports. You then will need an eSATA cable to go from the bracket to the drive. If it is the model with the eSATA, USB, and Firewire 800 ports, then OWC would have included an eSATA cable...although your friend may have gotten rid of it/lost it if they were not using it. If you need to buy one, they are like $5 or so:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816035

And, yes, eSATA will be WAY faster than USB 2.0. It may even be faster than USB 3.0. Personally, I use eSATA drives for my Windows desktop. For my old MacBook Pro (used as a desktop replacement now), I tend to use Firewire, but can also use eSATA by way of an ExpressCard. I try to avoid using USB for external drives, the exception is my newer Mac...I use a USB 3.0 drive for my backup drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users