Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound from Laptop or External Speakers, Headsets, NADA

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mike0921

mike0921

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

I have an HP ProBook 4440s. I've been disappointed in the speaker volume since I bought it. Even after adjusting all the settings I could find it's like a whisper during movies, music, Internet Videos.  Everywhere I checked for the info. it said the device was working, and the drivers all said they were current and didn't need updating, Speccy only gave me this for the Audio Info.:

SoundcardAnvSoft Virtual Sound Device, High Definition Audio Device, and another,High Definition Audio Device

I can get more from a manual or HP site if needed.

So, I went to the greatest computer store on the planet,  Walmart, (a little humor folks..) and bought a iHome iHM60 Rechargeable speaker, an Apple Product, which said would work on anything..

I plugged it in, watched some drivers being installed and a few minutes later was listening to it. An improvement, but I won't recommend it. Surely there is something better in the $20 to $50 price range. Later, I turned it off,  unplugged the USB power cord and the 3.5  mm jack ( I needed the USB port ) did my thing, and then replugged in the iHM60.

Nothing, no sound anywhere. Skype doesn't work, none of my Players work (WMP, Wondershare Media Player, VLC, or Free All in One. No system sounds, nada.  Everything I could think of to check (above) still said everything was okay. The speaker website has no help and only an email support thing to London and they haven't responded. When it was plugged in I couldn't find the thing in the device manager, even after rescanning for new hardware. It must be called something other than the product name there...

Can someone steer me to the right place to get this thing working? Or offer instructions on what to do to fx it?If I don't have to, I would rather not do a system restore.  The Troubleshooter in the Control Panel says nothing is broken as well...

mike0921

mike0921
from the hills of WV and the spaces in my Mind...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:17 AM

Lets clear the old usb drivers out of the way.

Download this tool to the machine in question unzip it to the desktop.

Move the 32 or 64 bit version of DriveCleanup.exe to C:\Windows\System32 Folder.
To do this hit the windows key and r at the same time and type the File Location C:\Windows\System32 in the run box.
Drag the 32 or 64 bit version of DriveCleanup.exe from the desktop into the C:\Windows\System32 Folder

Then Close all applications power your machine down and remove all usb devices except keyboard and mouse.

Then turn the machine back on and see below.

Open a command prompt by hitting the windows key and r at the same time and type cmd into the run box and hit enter.
Once the CMD window opens Type  or copy and paste drivecleanup.exe Hit enter.

This will clear all old usb drivers on your machine and hopefully help your issue.

Reboot and test. 

Edited by InadequateInfirmity, 01 July 2013 - 10:28 AM.

#3 mike0921

mike0921
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:56 PM

I've had a little Flu like issue and then had business in Pittsburgh today ( I live in WV) so I haven't had time to do as you have told me. Gringo was working with me on the MYPC Backp malware thing going around. After running four tools for logs for him, my sounds came back.

Should I go ahead and get rid of the old USB drivers anyway? Is there something I should do to figure any of this out? Should I never try another external speaker? I am a little lost in all this now.

Please let me know what to do and whether I can safely use an external speaker (I am taking the iHome Apple one back and replacing it. Or depending on your advice, getting my 25 bucks back... :-D

Like I told Gringo a moment ago, you (guys her at Bleeping ) do an amazing kindness to the Universe in providing such great help to those of us who still are low on the learning curve! So, thank you for your time and help. What you've done so far and in answering this post as to what I need to do now...

Mike

mike0921

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

You can go ahead and clear the old usb drivers out of the way surely can not hurt and use any external speaker that you wish it could have just been a fluke or the sound might go out in the next 20 mins. You can never tell with computers. Good luck and have a good day. :)

#5 mike0921

mike0921
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

Thanks for your help... I'll go ahead and clear out the old drivers and go look for another speaker.

Have a great day

Mike

mike0921

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

:guitar:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users