Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think trying to burn a data disk wiped my image files!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jack2345

jack2345

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:46 AM

I was trying to burn a CD of images (wedding photos!) and I think it completely wiped the data from every file.

Here's what happened:

1. Put a blank CD into computer (running Windows 7).

2. Went to My Computer and clicked on the CD drive.

3. Selected burn as a CD/DVD as opposed to a USB drive where files cold be edited.

4. Proceeded to drag and drop the 5+ folders of pictures to burn into the CD folder.

5. Clicked on Burn to Disk

6. Got a message that there was way too much data

7. Clicked okay and ejected the CD

I decided to use a flash drive instead, so I didn't do that much that day. But now, a few days later, I am going back to the folders and putting them on the flash drive. I noticed that it was going way to quickly, and so I went into the folders and saw that every single file it is zero bytes. There is no file data either -- no create date, modify date, etc. This only happened to the pictures I tried to burn, all other folders are fine. I have no idea what to do or how this happened, has anyone heard of this before? Is there a way to get the pictures back??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

I had hoped that somebody with direct knowledge of the in-built CD/DVD buning system in Windows would reply before this. I routinely write photos to DVDs, being involved in large photographic project, but I have never used Windows' own burning system.

Two possibilities come to mind. One is that Windows moved them to some temporary folder before writing them and, when you cancelled, didn't move them back to their original locations. Have you tried searching for any of these photos ? I know this might be a needle in a haystack job unless you had actually titled some of these photos as opposed to just having the serials they came out of the camera with. I must have 40 or 50 000 images spread across three hard drives and nearly all of them are called DSC* or IMG* !

A second approach would be to use a recovery tool like 'Recuva' from www.piriform.com . It can be very effective at recovering deleted files, but it does depend for its success on the hard drive sectors not having been over-written.

Best of luck, losing data at any time is upsetting, but when it's stuff you can't go back and re-shoot . . .

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users