Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Couple of Questions About New Laptops - Can You Stilll Get W7 With New Laptop?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewSe

AndrewSe

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:44 AM

Hi

Is there any laptops you can buy new, which you still get W7 with. I'm not keen on going with W8 since it's still relatively new and probably still got lots of bugs to iron out. Also I used W7 on a work machine and know how to use it, currently I use XP on my old laptop.

Also I am going to be looking for a new laptop quite soon and want to get something that willbe as good as my old HP nx6110 although with a lot more memory and the ability to increase the memory as well.

Also I do video production work, which is quite memory intensive, my HP is struggling now to run firefox, camtasia and al lthe rest now, and needs a break!

I was looking at something with W7, About 8Gig ram and a decent screen size. I'd also like something with dual screen capability, imagine most have this capability built in now, I think you need a docking station for dual screen as well don't you?

Any suggestions for a new laptop?

Thanks

A

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

it may be easier to get something like that from a build site like cyberpowerpc or something similar.

That being said, the laptop will be a little more expensive, you should be able to find a decent laptop online somewhere (newegg I think still carries some) the run W7, for what you are looking for I would go with a Lenovo, they have a lot of upgradability when it comes to RAM (They are good for rendering and things, case and point some of the work produced on "digitalblasphemy.com" is from a Lenovo that runs 32GB of RAM, this is upgraded from 8 or 16 when he bought it)

Pretty much all laptops have the ability to hook up at least one external screen.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:52 PM

Not exactly sure what your budget is but this Lenovo laptop fits your criteria 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:11 AM

I did an online search about one month ago for laptop computers and it seems Fry's and Toshiba still had plenty of machines with Windows 7 available. 

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

Also don't forget that you can put a start button back into Windows 8 via a tutorial here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-menu-in-windows-8-with-classic-shell/

Windows 8 no longer includes the traditional Start Menu that Windows users have become associated with using. Instead they replaced it with a new interface called the Windows Start Screen that many people find to be not as intuitive as the traditional Start Menu. This is especially the case if you are not using a touch screen. With this in mind, a free program called Classic Shell has been updated to support the ability to add a Start Menu to Windows 8.

I'm using it with Windows 8 on this computer currently. It now has a start button and regular desktop and if I want to Windows 8 stuff i go to the upper or lower corner on the right side of the screen with the mouse pointer and choose start from the 5 choices.

Using this I find it is not a problem using it at all.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 06 August 2013 - 04:29 PM.
cleanup errors

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 balkrish999

balkrish999

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:25 AM

If Your a average and reasonable technical,  Since most, laptops, come with W8 pre installed.     Why dont you buy them, and then simply re install Windows 7 on it? or Do a windows 7 Dual boot?  ( If you decide to do that, MAKE SURE you check the MAIN Website and see if W7 Drivers are avalible)  best of luck

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

Hi,

Checking for drivers first is a good idea, Highly recommended.

Next step is never do anything that can not be recovered from.

If the laptop gives an option to create restore disks or as is the case with this desktop I'm using it comes with the "Lenovo Rescue System" software. That gives me the option to backup the system to a image file for later recovery in case of system failure. This one is from Cyberlink for example. In the case of wiping a drive I'd want to have it cloned.

Be Aware some makers of Computers will not give You technical support if you change the Operating System.

I did not care for windows 8 when it came out in preview. However With "Classic Shell" I'm not even bothered and have no intention of changing this computer to the older Windows 7. I haven't run into any software that doesn't install and run fine, with the exception of Norton A/V. That was because I was using an older Norton 2012 and it needed to be updated after the install. After it ran Live update and I did a check for newer version and updated it, all is well and I'm using it with Malwarebytes Pro. That installed no problem as I downloaded the latest version ahead of time.

Classic Shell makes Windows 8 into a better Windows 7 and I can still access the Windows 8 apps.

I now have no qualms about recommending  Windows 8. I left it on an Asus laptop I gave away. Since She was used to Vista I installed Classic Shell and She loves it, It's nice, small, Light and no problems using it.

Save the money and avoid the hassle of changing OS's.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users