Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Annoying "Complete Survey" Virus. I need help.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BitingHorses

BitingHorses

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:59 AM

I'm having a problem with a virus I got about 5:00 pm today 7-1-13. There's this popup when I open my computer (Windows 7) that says there is a survey from "Microsoft" and if I want to unlock my computer I need to download some stuff from this website. Sounds easy right? Well it doesn't allow me to open any processes, because it is using Taskkill against me. You cant close it, if you even try it will lock your computer and wont allow you to do anything but stare at the survey, and if you actually want to get suicidal and try to complete the survey the website leads to a bunch of downloads and I would bet all of them are infested with some sort of virus; Trojan, malware, etc.. How did I get this? I don't know. I left my computer on at 11:00 so my sister can use it (cause I took the family MacBook to my friends house), and when I came back, my computer had that virus on it. I don't blame her, she's a lot younger than me and today any website can be dangerous. I've tried everything I can think of. Safe mode, run as many anti virus as I can think of, trying to delete the virus. None of it worked. Luckily taskkill does not block internet explorer (which I seem to hate because I usually use Google chrome and it does not open). Looked for answers, none helped except for "wipe your hard drive". No, that didn't happen yet, it'll be my last choice if I even get to that, but I would really appreciate an answer. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eat_Babies

Eat_Babies

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:30 AM

If it is really that severe maybe ComboFix can solve it? Or run Kaspersky Rescue 10?

#3 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:01 AM

Don't run ComboFix without a member of the Malware removal team telling you too and is there to supervise. Comobofix is a powerful tool that can seriously damage your PC if used incorrectly. 

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

If it is really that severe maybe ComboFix can solve it? Or run Kaspersky Rescue 10?

Please read Instructions For Posting Advice In This Forum before offering any more suggestions to members with topics in this forum.

We recognize that you are a relatively new member and are trying to assist...but such suggestions may lead to problems that only compound the situation which the OP currently has.  Every forum has rules wihch govern how things are done...these are posted primarily on the main forum page and I urge you to read through those before posting a reply in any forum, thereby ensuring that you are doing more good than possible harm.

Thank you :).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 July 2013 - 06:19 AM.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

Hello, let's try booting o Safe mode with Networking...

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.
  • Link 1
  • Link 2
    • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
    • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
    • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
    • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
    • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
    • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
  • Do not reboot the computer, you will need to run the application again.
Please Download TDSSkiller
Launch it.
Click on change parameters-Select TDLFS file system
Click on "Scan".
Please post the LOG report(log file should be in your C drive)

Do not change the default options on scan results.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamicontw5.gif and save it to your desktop.
  • Important!! When you save the mbam-setup file, rename it to something random (such as 123abc.exe) before beginning the download.
  • Double-click on the renamed file to install, then follow these instructions
  • for doing a Quick Scan in normal mode.
  • Don't forget to check for database definition updates through the program's interface (preferable method) before scanning.
  • If you cannot update Malwarebytes or use the Internet to download any files to the infected computer, manually update the database by following the instructions in FAQ Section A: 4. Issues
Malwarebytes may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • After completing the scan, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab .
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows the database version and your operating system.
  • Exit Malwarebytes when done.
Note: If Malwarebytes encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally will prevent Malwarebytes from removing all the malware.

-- Some types of malware will target Malwarebytes and other security tools to keep them from running properly. If that's the case, use Malwarebytes Chameleon and follow the onscreen instructions. The Chameleon folder can be accessed by opening the program folder for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (normally C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware or C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware).
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 myrder

myrder

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

hi sir im just new here...i got the same problem i just got the same "mircosoft survey" and it lock my computer...what should i do please help

ty

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

Hello, you have a ransomware virus that will require specific help.

Please repost your issue here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs

Mention your Operating System.

You will probably need a flash drive handy.

Let us know if that went well.

Edited by boopme, 30 October 2013 - 09:43 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users