Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezing after driver update

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kadjk

kadjk

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:41 PM

Hello,

So, I'm running an Asus laptop (G73JH i7 1.6ghz 8gb ram) with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870. Yesterday, I was updating the driver and watching a DVD at the same time, which I guess was a mistake. As it was updating, I got a BSOD. I should have investigated it there but I didn't, the dummy that I am. I restarted the computer and re-updated and it finished without a problem and I thought all was dandy.

Today, I was playing a game (Heroes of Newerth and WC3) and I noticed flickering of the graphics. And at one point, my screen went totally black for a few seconds. Thinking that maybe the new driver was the problem, I reverted back to an older driver. I still had the flickering. So I uninstalled the driver all together and updated it again and now my computer is freezing. It flickers a few times, then freezes with a striped screen.

I am at a loss. What should I do?

Thank you

P.S. While watching stuff (dvd and online) and doing less gpu intensive stuff, I have absolutely no problem. It's just when I'm playing a game.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

Are you downloading the whole driver package, or trying to do an automatic update from the little window that sometimes pops up on boot?

Download the whole driver package, remove old driver/CCC control center, everything, and do a clean install.

Edited by dpunisher, 01 July 2013 - 10:45 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 kadjk

kadjk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

Hey Dpunisher,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried what you suggested and I'm still having the same issue. Is my graphics card messed up or is there a way to fix this?

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users