Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3 beeps after crash?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Timisticus

Timisticus

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

I was just playing DC Universe Online and midgame my computer screen went blank.  I hit reset button twice, but got 3 beeps from my computer each time.  I did a hard stop and my computer rebooted just fine and seems to be working well.  What's the deal?  It's a fairly new computer (2 years old) and I'm not running the game on the highest graphics.  In fact, I just recently dropped the graphics quality a few weeks ago when the computer overheated running it (that was a first).  Not sure what's going on.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:54 PM

Probably overheating. Once the CPU cools down the unit restarts. Thoroughly clean all the dust out of it, especially the CPU heatsink and fan. Make sure none of the circulation fans have failed.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Timisticus

Timisticus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

Yeah, I've been doing that.  It did overheat once and that did cause a shut down so I cleaned it out, checked fans, closed background programs, etc.  So I was a little surprised when this happened again.  I didn't feel any excessive heat and the fans were still going.

#4 Timisticus

Timisticus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:11 PM

So its crashed a few more times and now I know its from overheat.  Dusted it off, booted up fine, fans running, crashed on overheat again.  What should I be looking at next?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link to the snapshot.

Louis

#6 Timisticus

Timisticus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:14 PM

Here it is:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/nTYdKSBpcGlhyivVcqMQlJ4

#7 Timisticus

Timisticus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:42 PM

So I posted a link to the Speccy over a month ago.  I've since updated the video card drivers, but am still running into the same problem.  Any thoughts?

#8 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

You've got some resource hogs running whenever you log on (at least according to your SPECCY)

I would try turning off them by going into MSCONFIG.

Processes:

wmpnetwk.exe

You have 2 instances of WmiPrvSE.exe running (which is connected to wmpnetwk) I would try to figure out which one you don't need.

Services: (Disable these by going into services.msc)

Adobe Acrobat Update Service

avast! Antivirus (If you still have Microsoft Security Essentials installed you don't need AVAST)

iPod Service

MBAMScheduler (Not necessary- you can do a MBAM quick scan on your own time)

*AVG WatchDog

*AVGIDSAgent (AVG? You need to uninstall that and AVAST if you are using Security Essentials! Only one antivirus at a time- other will conflict with it and slow your system, leading to overheating)

Google Update Service (gupdate)
Google Update Service (gupdatem)

Bottomline: You only need one antivirus program on your computer. AVAST is a memory/cpu hog, Security Essentials is by far the least.

You also have a service called xsherlock. Research online shows this to be installed through some games and apparently its a anti-cheat app. But it has a notorious history, so just a heads up.

#9 Timisticus

Timisticus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

I'd disabled MBAM and AVG, why would they be showing up on the Speccy?  They still running in the background?  I'm going through all of these, turning things off and uninstalling others.  Will report back on what happens.

#10 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:33 AM

I am not familar with Speccy, but if you have disabled them from running at startup then they should not be active processes when you computer is on, unless you have clicked on and opened the applications. AVG may require a complete uninstall, however- it's agent shield usually will run, even in some cases after you have disabled the service from the Services app.

#11 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:38 AM

Personally, I'm of the opinion that Timisticus' problem is due to overheating, and he most likely needs a new fan (at least) for his CPU. I'm up here in the Texas Panhandle where dust was invented, and fans tend to have short, ugly lives. So, Timisticus, even if the computer is just a couple of years old, you could still have a sick CPU fan. That's an area where manufacturers often find a corner to cut.

Sometimes, you can simply replace the CPU fan with a model that moves more air; but it's often less hassle to buy a new heatsink/fan assembly. There are plenty of coolers in the $25 to $30 range that should be better than your stock hardware. Just make sure you pick one that works with your computer's physical layout and space limitations, and be sure that the CPU is thoroughly clean before you mount the HSF.

You might also want to look at what sort of cooling your case has. Lots of manufacturers use crappy exhaust fans that manage to be noisy, and have low airflow at the same time. $8 to $16 bucks can buy you a quiet fan with high ariflow and low noise.

I like Arctic, NZXT, and Xigamatek in the $25 to $30 range in CPU coolers, and for case fans, I'm a big fan of Silenx line of fluid bearing fans. Great airflow, low noise, and long life. Don't confuse the fluid bearing fans with the cheaper, junkier fans Silenx also makes.

Edited by slgrieb, 30 September 2013 - 11:40 AM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#12 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

I would definitely be interested in a picture of the inside of the case...

#13 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

I would definitely be interested in a picture of the inside of the case...

I don't know if that's a good idea. I've opened up some Dell and HP systems that gave me nightmares for weeks. Some of these systems are so crowded and cluttered that decent airflow wasn't apparently even an afterthought; more like an afterbirth perhaps.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#14 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:08 AM

As have I, but if that's the case then he might not have room for a suitable CPU Fan/Heatsink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users