Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Refurbished Dell PC - win 7 64 bit- games don't work

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tryn2learn

tryn2learn

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

Has anyone ever heard of buying a refurbished PC from an Authorized Microsoft Refurbisher where out of the gate the Windows feature of Games doesn't work.  After contacting the Refurbisher was told that refurb OS at 64 bit does not contain Games and that they would send a 32 bit disc for me to do the install of the OS all over again?

I find this unbelievable.  The refurb license for software shouldn't be less of an OS than OEM or retail, should it???

Thanks much.

TryN

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

Learn to believe. Old Windows OS games are 32 bit..

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:24 PM

I have a suggestion, seems funny to me but it will work for you...

Get a free version of VM Ware and create a 32 bit virtual machine, which you can run on your 64 bit machine to play Windows games. :huh:

#4 just-johnnie

just-johnnie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

windows games are turned off, you need to turn them on! Start button-click Control Panel, click Programs under Programs and Features, click Turn Windows features on or off.Games check box, and then click OK

I run windows home premium 64bit and have games.

#5 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

I understand that the old games are 32 bit.  Yet on both my desktop and my laptop which are 64 bit, I have the games and no problems turning on the Windows features that control them.  So why does that not hold true for a refurbished install?

Does not make sense to me.  Win 7 64 has both 32 bit and 64 bit fuctionality so this makes me confused. I have installed OEM and retail 64 bit programs for people and never run across this before.  The person bought a refurbished computer Dell Optiplex 745 with Win 7 64 bit Home premium.  The games are there, but when you start them the exe fails.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

Who would have guessed... Corrupted install is my guess though.

Edited by TsVk!, 30 June 2013 - 09:00 PM.

#7 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

Just Johnnie,

Yes I know that and I did that.  The problem exists when you try to say play Hearts or Solitaire.  It starts dealing the cards and then all of a sudden the fail to execute comes up. 

I also ran sfc.exe as I thought, well maybe they did something wrong when they installed Win 7 64 Home Premium.  That found no integrity problems.

Any other ideas?  They want to send a 32 bit installation disc and the reason these folks bought this PC is to have the 64 bit system.

#8 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

TsVk!

What?????

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:17 PM

I was saying that I thought your assumption was also possibly correct

"well maybe they did something wrong when they installed Win 7 64 Home Premium."

Corrupt/missing part of Windows install. Some service that the games depend on to work is failing or non-existent.

Maybe by removing and then re-adding the games you might get them working...

#10 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

TsVk!

Oh, now I understand. But is it possible to load just the games?

I'm thinking (even though I don't feel like it) that I should probably do a complete clean install again.  What bothers me is the company that did the refurb, shouldn't they have known that something was wrong and then to tell the customer that they'll send out a 32 bit disk and to re-install a 32 bit system.  Yikes, maybe I best just do a clean install again.

Thankfully I partitioned the disk so I hopefully won't lose all that I've already loaded on the system.  Who would have thunk that you shoudl try games first to see if the installation was done correctly or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users