Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows folder missing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hairymonster2000

hairymonster2000

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

Hi, I ran combofix on my old pc a while back and it wouldn't start afterwards. Not having much time, I just fired up the spare pc and have been using that ever since.

There's some info I wanted from the old pc so have been checking the hard drive and notice the C:\Windows folder is missing.

I have tried the recovery programs on the hirens disc but don't seem to be able to recover the folder.

I don't have the XP Pro install disc so cannot do a repair install.

Any ideas please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

There cannot be a Windows install...if there is no folder there.

I think that may point to hard drive problems or someone deleted it.

Is the partition and are other files present on this system?

How are you looking at the hard drive if the system won't boot?  Is it directly to the motherboard of the spare PC?

Louis

#3 hairymonster2000

hairymonster2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

Hi Luis,

I'm checking the drive in a usb caddy. Everything else seems to be there, users, program files, data files etc.

I can usually see the windows folder in xp using this set up.

chkdsk finds unreadable sectors and baulks when it gets to checking the indexes returning unknown error.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,573 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

I would interpret the chkdsk results as an indication that the drive is bad...I ran into a similar situation on a friend's PC 2 days ago.

I would pull any valued data from that drive...then run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's hard drive diagnostic.  Long test.

A failing hard drive might have accounted for your original problems...if that is the case, the sooner you know, the less energy will be spent on a fruitless task.

Louis

#5 hairymonster2000

hairymonster2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

Thanks Luis,

Had already started dragging the data off just in case it came down to the last resort - format and reinstall.

Will give it a go with a program I've just got called spinrite - supposed to be good - and see what that comes up with.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,573 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

Spinrite's a little dated, IMO...I've never used it, preferring utilities developed more recently and/or by drive manufacturers.

Your plan sounds like a good one :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users