Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS K55A-HI5103D failing to boot into BIOS or Windows 8..... nothing but power

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Brophy

Dave Brophy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:51 PM

Windows 8 Laptop..... Opened machine, came out of sleep mode, said it would restart and update in 15 min...., let it do it. This all happened June 27th...

Next thing I know it fails in the update.... Then it reboots, giving me an error....

It gave me the opportunity to go into the BIOS setup (press del for setup)... I don't remember it doing that normally... Might be in fast boot and secure boot, but not sure...

I changed the boot order, saved, and restarted the machine...

Now I get nothing on the screen at all.... HDD, numlock lights flash once.... DVD drive spins for a sec.... fan runs... can open and close dvd drive... power light is on and that's it....

Is there any way to get back into the system (legacy) BIOS and override the UEFI? What else would you suggest? Resetting something? CMOS?

I just want to get this running again....

Thanks Dave

PS Someone suggested removing memory and putting it back in...... Would this help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 curtiswardwell

curtiswardwell

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

The following link is from the Asus website to restore you computer to factory settings: http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=K55A&os=8&no=1775.

Hope this helps solve your issue. Do not know what else to suggest. The forum administrators may have some other suggestions.

Curtis W

#3 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

You are under warranty, right? This sounds like a bad hard drive, though a bad mainboard is also possible. But if that were the case, I don't think you'd  be able to open the DVD drive or anything else. So, I would contact Asus to start the warranty process. http://support.asus.com/warranty.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=386&m=K55A&os=8&hashedid=K0x462Xrfr7kxIK4

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#4 Dave Brophy

Dave Brophy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

Thanks for all the help so far....  Is it possible I could reset the BIOS setup by removing the CMOS battery for an hour or so?   Just have to figure out the location of it on the motherboard.....

Thanks

Dave

#5 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

Thanks for all the help so far....  Is it possible I could reset the BIOS setup by removing the CMOS battery for an hour or so?   Just have to figure out the location of it on the motherboard.....

Thanks

Dave

On many laptops, the CMOS battery is inaccessible without dismantling the computer; which almost certainly would void your warranty; so I wouldn't advise trying it. If you are concerned about your data, you could pull the drive and use a USB adapter to copy your files, if you don't backup regularly, and that probably wouldn't kill the warranty.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#6 TChild

TChild

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

This seems to be a common problem, the screen blanks out after changing the boot device (due to it mysteriously changing itself so the system would not boot).

None of the 'solutions' so far found have any effect.

The machine is out of warranty!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users