Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless USB wi-fi adapter problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 atomicsocks

atomicsocks

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

I just purchased a belkin N150 wi-fi usb adapter and am unable to connect.

The installation of the software went fine although a warning popped up saying windows couldn't verify the security of the install.

The wi-fi network I want to connect to does show up on the list of choices when I tried to connect so it is installed right and active.

I've tried using the repair function. I suspect it may be my firewall settings.

My computer is a dell, and my OS is windows xp.

I have ad-aware antivirus installed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

According to Belkin - who are sponsoring a team in the Tour de France - the N150 is a router not a USB adapter. Regardless, have a look for serial / model numbers on your USB and the manufacturer. By sheer coincidence I have a Netgear USB adapter sitting beside me and it is model N150. Could that be what you have ?

If you can see your router in a list of routers within range, you need to manually connect the first time. Click on your router in the pop-up list then click 'Connect'. Assuming you protection in place - and if you haven't, you should have - then you will be asked for the passcode. Type that into the box that appears, click connect and you should be on-line. And click 'Connect automatically' if you are offered that option, this will save you having to do this each time you want to go on-line.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 atomicsocks

atomicsocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

I just typed out what it says on the box.

In any case, now the house network doesn't show up on the list anymore. I know I've screwed something up.

My computer detects the device but on one section it says it's disabled.

My brain is all gummed up and stupid from trying to figure this out.

aside from uninstalling and re-installing the drivers and such I have no idea what to do.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,891 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

OK, let's take this step by step ! 

First of all, uninstall the driver(s). To do this, click 'Start / Control Panel' then double click on 'Programs and Features'. After a few seconds this will produce a list of the software on your computer. Scroll down and up the list to find the software associated with your USB adapter, then click on it's entry in the list, then click on 'Uninstall' towards the top of the of the page. This will start the uninstall process to remove it, then re-boot your computer.

Re-install the drivers for the adapter, but make sure that you install the XP drivers not the Win 7 or Win 8 ones. You may have to go to the manufacturer's web-site to get the drivers. If you cannot connect on your own computer, borrow a few minutes on another one - a friend's or a public one, library or internet cafe. Save then to a memory stick if you use a different computer. When you install the XP drivers, make sure you use the correct sequence, my one likes you to plug the wi-fi adapter in about halfway through the install sequence.

Once you have the correct drivers installed, and the adapter sitting in a USB socket, you need to connect to your router. By this time you may have a pop-up in the bottom right hand corner saying something like 'Wi-fi ( or Wireless, or WLAN ) not connected. Wireless connections are available.' Otherwise, you will have a little icon for your wi-fi at the right hand end of your task bar, which may have a yellow dot on it or be coloured red. This icon takes different forms. One is a little bar chart increasing left to right, another common one is a miniature computer screen. Click on this.

A menu should then pop-up with a list of all routers within range, which should include yours. If it doesn't, make sure your router is switched on and has three green lights showing. Then click on the entry for your router in this list, then click 'Connect'.  If you have security enabled on your router - and you should have - you will then get a box asking you to enter the passphrase / password. Type this into the box and click OK. Give it a few seconds to connect, and you should be online.

These are generalised instructions. If they don't work,  post back with the exact make and model of your adapter - it should be printed on it - and I will see if I can find the manufacturer's instruction set. Or you can put the make and model into Google and get the exact instructions that way.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 atomicsocks

atomicsocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

Turns out it was just a weak signal. Dug up an old wireless router I had and connected it to the first one and then made one of those makeshift cardboard and tinfoil dish antennas around it. Signal is still wonky but I works about half the time now. Sorry about taking so long to let you know what happened. Haven't been able to get on in a while.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,891 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

Glad you got it working in the finish, but unless you live in a very large house or it is made of unusual materials, your signal shouldn't be so weak. These USB dongles can be quite sensitive to their position. The back of my computer faces an external wall so if I plug a USB dongle into one of the rear sockets the signal has to find its way either through or around the metal case - not a good idea !

I have it connected via a USB extension lead to one of the back sockets and fixed to the top forward edge of the computer case with a magnetic spring clip. Here it works fine as long as I have it as far up the case as the spring clip will allow. Believe it or not, if it slips or gets knocked down as little as half an inch, I lose 25% of my signal ! Try playing around with different positions for the dongle, you will probably find that it makes a big difference.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users