Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed graphics driver not working even though the computer says it does

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 larsjorgen

larsjorgen

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

I'm fixing a Pavilion DV7 for this guy and I'm having big problems with the graphics driver. 

This computer has the M880G with Mobility Radeon HD 4250 and the Mobility Radeon HD 5470. 

When I disable the 4250 and keep the 5470 on, the computer will start like it should, but if I try to run them both on enabled the screen will turn black right before login. I can hear the sound and everything, so it's not the computer crashing or anything like that. If I disable the 5470 the same thing happens. The only way the computer will turn on the way it should is if the 4250 is disabled while the 5470 is enabled. So I do get a picture, the computer itself is working, no problem there.

Safe mode works like it should and when the screen goes black I have to use the safe mode to disable the 4250 (and keep the 5470 enabled) to be able to turn the computer back on in normal mode. It's strange though that the computer says that the drivers are working like they should in the device manager, but they're obviously not; when scrolling the picture will lag pretty bad, and even though I've tried probably 10-12 different drivers (new ones, older ones, all kinds), nothing new happens to the computer when I install a driver. It's like the driver isn't "connected" to the hardware like it should, I have no other way to describe it. It installs the driver with the damn Catalyst piece of crap program and tells me everything is working...but no. 

I've tried all I could think of - many different drivers, removed the old one and installed the new one instead, installed directx, framework, tried different fixes for scroll lag (which is pointless since this gotta be a driver problem)...I'm all out of ideas. 

All suggestions are welcome, since I've tried just about every solution I could find when I googled. And feel free to ask questions - I think I put all the info I have in here, but if something is missing just ask.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:40 PM

Hi

:welcome:  to the forum.

I'm fixing a Pavilion DV7 for this guy

First of all i have a few questions :

Are you a PC tech ? 

When did the problem starts ? (after a Windows update, driver update, OS re-install or after some hardware replacement )

From where did you downloaded the drivers ? . Laptops requires OEM customized drivers. Generic ones may not work so make sure to download the driver only from HP site. 

To gather some basic info about your system, please follow the below steps.

1 ) Exact model number of your laptop (ie  Pavilion dv7-4190us)

2 )  A speccy snapshot of your system.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

3 ) Msinfo32.nfo file

a ) Go to the Start button
  b ) Select Run...  (or press Windows Key + R)
  c ) Type msinfo32 and click OK
  d ) While viewing the System Summary node go to File then Save (Please do not use Export)
  e ) Save your MSINFO32 report as msinfo32.nfo and upload it toa free file hosting site like http://www.mediafire.com

Post the download link to it.

#3 larsjorgen

larsjorgen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

Hi!

Well, I've been working with computers for quite some time, only I specialize in data recovery from flash drives (memory sticks, SSD drives etc) and not fixing computers; the market is kinda slow, so now I've decided to fix computers as well (I built my first computer over 10 years ago and I've been into it since). So I do have some knowledge, but now and then I run into problems I'm unable to solve myself. So that would be half a yes to the tech question. Most of my customers have Java or virus problems anyway..

The customer dropped the computer and it hit the floor pretty bad. That's when it started. First I figured it was a hardware problem since it had hit the floor and all, so just to make sure I checked the HD, memory etc for errors, and nothing. So that's good. Would think that the computer would let me know if there was a graphics hardware problem, but it haven't. I did get error 43, but not anymore.

I've tried just about every driver HP have to offer, but maybe I missed one. I think I have to go over them again, maybe I missed something. Maybe I should try another chipset driver or something (M880G).

Model: 4010SO

Speccy was a nice little tool, I'll be sure to remember that one. http://speccy.piriform.com/results/TR3OI2bh47PfmWRRUPYUYYS

Here's the link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/wt75r72u6uj1ou5/MSINFO32.nfo

Edited by larsjorgen, 30 June 2013 - 03:39 PM.

#4 larsjorgen

larsjorgen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:22 PM

I now uninstalled the old graphics driver and installed the one recommended for this computer on HP's site, and now I get an error message on the screen saying that the ATI driver is not installed or that it doesn't work like it should. "Install the correct drivers for your ATI hardware."

The driver I uninstalled didn't work, but at least I didn't get this message; I have gotten it with some of the other drivers I tested though.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:30 PM

Hi

Please try this steps if you didn't tried it yet.

- Update system BIOS

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp61001-61500/sp61028.exe

- Enter in to the BIOS setup and load default values.

I also suspect a hardware failure. I repair laptops and i have seen motherboard issues (especially chipset )in dropped ones. Usually we send them for BGA rework. 

Let us hope that it is a software issue. If nothing works, try a factory restore as the last step. If the issue remains, you got a faulty motherboard.

#6 larsjorgen

larsjorgen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:39 AM

I will try those steps and let you know what happens. 

Annoying, really - the computer is working, it's only the scrolling that isn't working like it should (lag).

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:41 AM

Hi

In case you needed, here is the driver download page of your laptop : http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=4216985

Make sure to install any driver from this page only. Drivers for other models may not work properly as they are customized for them.

#8 larsjorgen

larsjorgen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:05 AM

Ok, now I've updated all the drivers from the HP site and I've updated the BIOS. Nothing new here, still the same; I must disable the 4250 and keep only the 5470 enabled in the device manager to get a picture when I enter Windows, or else the screen will go black right before the login screen. The lag is still there, and the drivers doesn't seem to do anything at all. 

Is there such thing as the hardware don't wanna accept the drivers because of broken hardware? Seems strange that I get a somewhat normal picture whit a broken graphics card, one should think that if the hardware was damaged it wouldn't work at all? 

Did you find anything out from the Speccy file or the msinfo32 file, Anshad?

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:23 AM

Hi

No, nothing directly related to the issue can be seen from the speccy report. But it seems that the user  installed both Ad-aware AV and Norton at the same time. You should completely uninstall Ad-aware from the system to avoid clashes. 

Around two months ago i had a chance to troubleshoot a Dell laptop with ATI graphics. It works fine without graphics driver installed but as soon as i install a driver, system will either freeze or blue screens. It turned out that ATI chip gone faulty due to long term over heating. Like that you may also facing a hardware issue. I suggest backup all the data and doing a factory restore. That will rule out any possible software fault.

#10 larsjorgen

larsjorgen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:48 AM

I uninstalled Ad-aware right after running it, so it's not in the system anymore. 

I'm totally unable to find the correct chipset driver. Am I missing something here? http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pages/psearch.aspx?type=2.7&product=2.7.4.3.5%3b2.7.10.3.2%3b2.7.11.3.1&contentType=Tech+Download+Chipset+Motherboard&ostype=&keywords=&items=20

I'm tired, been up all night working with this. I have a feeling that the correct chipset driver will take care of it. Not 100% sure, more like 60..hehe:)

Edited by larsjorgen, 01 July 2013 - 05:49 AM.

#11 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

Hi

AMD doesn't provides mobile chipset drivers to public. What listed in their sites are all desktop chipset drivers. I guess you have to stick with the drivers provided by HP.

#12 larsjorgen

larsjorgen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

Still not working, with new drivers and everything. I could reinstall Windows, but that's such a pain in the ass and besides it might be a hardware problem. But maybe there's something else I can try before reinstalling Windows?

#13 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:08 PM

Name: Standard Monitor on
Current Resolution: 1600x900 pixels
Work Resolution: 1600x860 pixels
State: Enabled, Primary
Monitor Width: 1600
Monitor Height: 900
Monitor BPP: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency: 1 Hz

you got a machine that doesn't know what's inside it - a couple of hp models fooled around with putting two graphics chips inside one model for power saving but you would alway notice it because it was an intel model and someone else. They largely abandoned the process. I personally have never seen one with two AMD chips in it, but I haven't seen everything either (just a good amount of the US models). From the specs of model only one gpu should show up and the monitor should show 60hz or above. 1hz means that it is only drawing the screen once per second!

You can fool around with driver cleaners and registry deletion if you want but I think you are better off with a clean install to find out if the hardware is truely damaged.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 02 July 2013 - 11:16 PM.

#14 larsjorgen

larsjorgen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

Not sure if I should laugh or cry here. I've never liked HP and this is the reason. Would it be possible to just force-disable one of the chips and use the other one or something like that? I don't care which one is being used, but as I wrote in the first post, I have to disable the 4250 and keep the 5470 to even get the screen to work. I've looked in the bios, but it doesn't look like it's possible to just disable the 4250 "for good" that way. Other suggestions? 

About disabling one of the chips - I've tried disabling the 4250 in the device manager and then installing a new driver for the 5470, but it doesn't work. Have I missed something, maybe some other way to do this? Reinstalling Win is a long way down the road, because the guy owning the laptop has all kinds of crap on the hard drive that he probably would want to have backed up; he's not paying me enough for me to do that for him; he would be better off buying a new laptop if I were to charge him for it. 

Grasping at straws here - can the screen resolution have something to do with the problem?

#15 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

One of the last things I would take a look at is go into the screen resolution and then advanced settings - then the monitor tab and see if you can select a different screen refresh rate.

You kinda missed the point of what I was saying - It is highly unlikely that machine has two AMD graphics cards in it even though that is what windows is telling you right now.

I would use a separate hard drive (or image/clone the machine) and do a clean windows install to see if it still shows up as two graphics cards or as one. 

If you are lucky there will be only one graphics card - and the machine will work properly - and maybe you can do something like replace the system registry hive on the broken windows installation

If you are not so lucky the computer will still show two graphics cards and be screwed up and laggy which would indicate that the hardware is permanently damaged.

If you are not getting paid enough to do any of this, I think you have already gone over the easy solutions.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 06 July 2013 - 01:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users