Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

General Windows Server Questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 samlf3rd

samlf3rd

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

Hello BC,

I am wondering if anyone knows the answer to these questions about Windows Server-we are buying 2012 Standard:

1. For starters, I am confused with CAL's-is this just for the technical work on the server like adding roles and such, or does it mean that I can only have 1 person in the network access files and other things like Active Directory? I will be the only one accessing it for technical stuff from a monitor that is directly connected to it-is that 1 CAL?.
  2. Number 2: With Active Directory can users access their specific folders and software like a normal desktop i.e. access the Internet and other software. I heard that you create a disc for AD and just plop it in the computers in your network and Viola!-they are all connected and setup-myth?
  3. How do we get Word and other Microsoft Office products on the server? Do we use Office 365 or some cloud based thingy? Or, do we buy a volume license (which I believe means multiple licenses like 5 or 10 at a time-then in the Server add the licenses)???

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I am doing all the reading I can, some links would be appreciated too!

Sam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

Hello there,

I will try my best to answer your questions.  First off: the CAL applies to every user of the server.  If they are going to be accessing it for administrative purposes or for user purposes, that's one cal for each user.  Now I don't know what you mean by "disc with active Directory, plop it in the computer and everyone is setup".  Sounds like pure technical mythology to me.  I can explain to you how you really join users to the domain.  and it has nothing to do with dyscs.  To join a user to the domain you:

either log into that computer and run the domain join wizard.  It's under system, computer name, change computer name and group membership, and then specify the domain name along with administrative credentials sufficient enough to perform the procedure; an administrator, a domain administrator, or an enterprise administrator all have that permission.  The computer account will be automatically generated based on the information given.  Or you can manually create the computer account in Active Directory via the ADUC (active directory users and computers) console.  This is harder and more work in my opinion.  Then users can access whatever applications you have installed on the computer as long as there are no GPOs blocking access, so that answers your question.  As to your third question, you can install Office on the server just as if you were installing it on any other computer; it depends on how many office installs you need.  Office 365might be a better option for one single subscription depending on level will give you X amount of installs per subscription.  One of those can certainly go on the server from my understanding of Office 365.  You could go the volume licensing route, though why the heck would you?  The subscription model's easier to follow if you ask me.  I hope I have answered your questions, and if you have any more, then please don't hesitate to post back here. 

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#3 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

You and think of a CAL is an add-on licence which allow your users to access the servers from computers on the network> CALs usually come in two types - Per User or Per Device. I'll explain the differences in a mo. CALs are also specific to accessing a particular server product (and up to their corresponing version of that product). That might be basic network access (logging on or accessing files store on a server) for which would need a  Windows Server CAL, or other server products such Exchange server for email, which needs its own CALs.

A Per user CAL applies to one individual user -i.e. Joe Bloggs. With a Windows server 2012 cal allocated to him, he can access any Windows server (up the 2012 version) on the network.

A Device CAL allows ANY user to access the nework from a single named computer - So if Joe Bloggs and Jane Doe share the same computer and do not log on from anywhere else, a device cal may be more economic.

Most networks use purely USER CALs - one for each staff member and administrator..

The single disk setup that you refer to applies to some Small Busuness Server variants - not the the main 2012 product. As the previous post says, you need to need to join client computers to your Windows Domain (or workgroup) before users can use them.

You would probaly set up software like Office locally on each PC (The installation would not normally be on the server) and set up a shared folder on your server to store documents. Of course if your internet connectivity is good enough the Office 365 prcloud based product exists.

If you are unfamiliar with working with servers, you may like to consider Small Business server, which after a simple installation, is a ready to use server, all set up for you, Including email...

x64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users