Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Text copy Pasting on Forum

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:10 AM

Can anybody please help ?

When a subject is involved or compilation demands thought, My practice is to use the Drafts folder of my Email as a notebook. Once the text is considered OK, I then copy it and paste it on the Forum.

This works fine with most Forums, but with BC the font size is automatically enlarged and unsuitable.

Please can somebody tell me what is going wrong so I can correct it when posting in future ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:24 AM

I don't know what mail application you are using? But I was unable to recreate the issue using Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail.

Since no one else has reported the issue my suspicion is that your drafts folder is adding font coding to your post. For testing purposes try this application: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/bbeditor/

It is a wysiwyg post editor for composing and editing forum topics. No installation is required for use of the application. Just add the executable to your desktop. If the font size maintains its size when posted using the app, then we can safely assume your mail application is inputting code in your posts.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

I don't know what mail application you are using? But I was unable to recreate the issue using Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail.

Since no one else has reported the issue my suspicion is that your drafts folder is adding font coding to your post. For testing purposes try this application: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/bbeditor/

It is a wysiwyg post editor for composing and editing forum topics. No installation is required for use of the application. Just add the executable to your desktop. If the font size maintains its size when posted using the app, then we can safely assume your mail application is inputting code in your posts.

Thank you so much. I will try your test and see what happens. I use either Gmail or OE6 for drafting my nonsense. They both come up big on BC.

#4 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

@ Animal - Admin
==============

Summary of Editor tests with OE, Gmail and Yahoo. Yabbadoo account. The "Editor" being
bbEditor 1.0.4.2 as proposed by Animal - Admin to check out mail copy/paste text transfer..

1. Gmail to Editor to BC
It is always disappointing when one of our consumers is dissatisfied and, I can assure you, your comments will be passed on to the relevant department.

2. Gmail direct to BC

It is always disappointing when one of our consumers is dissatisfied and, I can assure you, your comments will be passed on to the relevant department.

3. OE to Editor to BC

If you have any questions regarding this order, please contact us using the details below. Please do not reply to this email. 

4. OE direct to BC
If you have any questions regarding this order, please contact us using the details below. Please do not reply to this email.

5. Yahoo to Editor to BC
Please note - you must complete this last step to become a registered member. You will only need to visit this URL once to activate your account.

6. Yahoo direct to BC

Please note - you must complete this last step to become a registered member. You will only need to visit this URL once to activate your account.

====================

Looks like the problem is with Yahoo Mail, which I currently do most of my drafts on. Very rarely OE, but often on Gmail.

This is why I have been puzzled. Gmail pastes have been OK and Yahoo pastes have enlarged. I never connected the two mail systems with the fault, since the activity sequences are always a long time apart and the choice of mail system to compose the draft upon quite random.

Your test Editor did the trick - it is a fault with Yahoo. I will now use Gmail or OE for all my copy/paste jobs.

Is this reply OK ? Have I done the test OK ? I hope so.

A million thanks for resolving my puzzle.

Yabba

PS - Identical copy lines were used for each paired test.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for letting us know you solved your issue. Nice work. Glad I could help with some information and an extra tool.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

Thanks for letting us know you solved your issue. Nice work. Glad I could help with some information and an extra tool.

Animal,

Don't be so modest, YOU solved it. Without your intuition, I would still be printing fonts as big as the ad-lights in Piccadilly Circus.

It seems like - copy text from mail>paste in Editor>copy text from Editor>paste text on BC Forum. then YABBA-DABBA-DOO no more gigantic, blockbusting fonts.

Yabba

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users