Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 PC restarting issue.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 FlusterPcuser

FlusterPcuser

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:54 AM

First off I just want to say. Hello! To everyone here and hope everyone is having a pleasant weekend for themselves! Now on to the problem.  

Recently my computer is doing something funny that is starting to irritate me. Whenever I click on Start <- ShutDown <-Restart, Windows goes through the process of shutting down as it normally would before a restart. Windows shuts down and you are taken to the shutting down screen with the spinning circle...Everything looks peachy at that point but then the problem that's been angering me to NO end happends. The screen goes back as expected and the monitor says "No Signal" as expected but the PC stays on and never resets. This is frustrating me because since I use software from time to time that requires rebooting the PC it would be less of a hassle for me to not have to "Hard Reset" the pc everytime I need to reboot it. I've tried nearly everything here from modifying my start-up Processes using Autoruns from viewing my Event log on windows and everything seems ok other then a small problem with a registry file that has to do with internet protocols...I've uninstalled and reinstalled programs. I would do a full scale war along the lines of just formatting the system and reinstalling the OS. Problem being I bought this computer with WIN 7 preloaded and wasn't given any kind of disc to be able to reinstall my OS or try a Repair. I been at this for about a week and time just flies by and both wife and mother in law are annoyed by me trying to fix this thing as it's been the center of my focus. The damn German in me doesn't like to quit things unless their fixed. I mean,sure I could just have to hard reset every time I need to restart my PC but If something isn't functioning the way a device should this is when I go nuts trying to fix but this is my last resort to possibly find a solution. Come to a place where people are sure to know about this issue than I could ever imagine. Well enough of my babble. Tell me what I need to do and if I have to do a Hijack this LOG or a malwarebytes log I can provide those. Hell any scan of my PC you need if it's a software issue then I'll do what is requested and of course post any change. Thanks for taking the time to read of this problem and hopefully from the help of the masters (No,not kissing butt here,just stating the obvious!) of PC hell can give me a lending hand. Thank you once again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:33 PM

You say this started recently. I would suggest that you restore your Windows to a date from before this problem started - 'Start / Control Panel / Recovery / Open system Restore' . This will bring up one default option with a tick box to see more options, click on 'More options' and pick one from before this trouble started.

Once this process has completed you will need to apply any updates that have been produced since that date. If you have a lot of MS updates to do, I would suggest you install them in small batches, say five at a time. There is at least one MS update fairly recently that has caused problems on some computers, installing them in small batches makes fixing an update easier !

I don't have any German in me that I know of, apart from a German sister-in-law, but I know what you mean.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 FlusterPcuser

FlusterPcuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

Thank you, Sounds like a plan! I'll give it a try and post any changes if any. Thanks again!

#4 FlusterPcuser

FlusterPcuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:39 AM

Sadly that didn't seem to work. I even updated windows as you stated in your post and I still can't restart normally. Bummer.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

If you boot into safe mode...does the same issue arise?

Louis

#6 FlusterPcuser

FlusterPcuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

Well that's odd. The restart works in safe mode. When I restart in safe mode it does what it's suppose to do but in windows normal mode it doesn't. I fiddled with start ups to see if any start ups caused this issue but again no dice. Any ideas?

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,463 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

From normal operation if you just click 'Shut down', does it shut down normally or does it hang as you describe above when you select 'Re-start' ?

Chris Cosgrove

#8 FlusterPcuser

FlusterPcuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:20 PM

Yes, PC shuts down fine with no "hang" or any sort of error in both safe mode and normal mode.

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,463 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

That is weird. I have occasionaly had a computer 'hang-up' when shutting down, and I mean occasionaly, resulting in having to resort to holding in the power button but never I think this problem.

Unless Louis can come up with a better answer, as a quick and dirty fix, why don't you just shut the computer down, and then press the start button once it has done so ?  Yes, I know it is two operations and will take a second or two longer, but I also said a 'quick and dirty fix' !

Chris Cosgrove

#10 FlusterPcuser

FlusterPcuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:05 AM

Having some experience with PCs I find this to be a weird issue too. I mean shuts down perfectly but won't restart unless I hard reset it BUT restart works in safe mode? I mean its one of those "GAH!!!! DAMN PC" moments. I've been doing what you stated here ever since the problem arise and well, I don't want to sound like a convenience snob like most are but it is kinda irritating to have do this this everytime I want to restart my PC when it should be doing it normally.

#11 pollyjohan

pollyjohan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:31 AM

Essentially, just because it works in secure mode, doesn't rule out a power matter, it merely could mean the system is not getting strained enough that the issue surfaces. But it is just smash, which is not really a graphic intense game, so puzzling however, but from my knowledge, positively sounds like control issue.

<a href="http://www.electrocomputerwarehouse.com>refurbished computers</a>

#12 FlusterPcuser

FlusterPcuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:21 PM

Today I fiddle around with this issue some more. Sometimes when I restart I get a message statin something about a issue with check sum in BIOS? Never had an issue with the bios that I'm aware of. Anyone heard of this?

#13 FlusterPcuser

FlusterPcuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:40 PM

Default BIOS settings have been loaded due to BIOS update or checksue issue

This is the message I get. I didn't update the bios and don't know how but I know it has something to do with a utility flasher and the bios update. Strange.

#14 FlusterPcuser

FlusterPcuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:54 PM

Well HP has a BIOS update that solves the issue... I may try it...wish me luck!

#15 FlusterPcuser

FlusterPcuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:41 AM

well updated the bios. Didn't do anything and still get that error about default bios settings are set message. well... I am stumped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users