Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware Troubleshooting Problem

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 polarpandabear

polarpandabear

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:21 AM

Hello!

I'm new to this community and I just want ask for help to troubleshoot my system. 

The problem starts when my PC is on when there was a thunderstorm and suddenly a lightning strikes near our area. It cause our household to brownout and I saw my router and my motherboard sparking during that incident so I immediately pull off the plug. When power was restored, my PC won't turn on but the LED on my previous motherboard(ASUS) is on so I immediately buy a Thermaltake with the same wattage(500W) to replace the damaged power supply 

Luckily, my previous motherboard has a surge protection but sad to say, when I am about to render heavy files in Maya, my PC spark a little and restart again. so I troubleshoot myself with these steps:

• Monitor Heat and Voltage supply with Speccy - I suspect first that the problem was overheating
  • Replace my motherboard (see below). - I think my motherboard was also damaged
  • Replace my old video-card with Higher specs (see below) - and so my video card also
  • Exchange a processor(AM3+) form my friend and reapply thermal paste

But sad to say, when I render again the project. I hear some spark with my new motherboard. and I think that the spark was with the connection with 12V near the CPU.

Here is my latest specs of my system,

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU
AMD Athlon II X2 250 30 °C
Regor 45nm Technology

RAM
4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard
MSI 880GMS-E41(FX) (MS-7641) (CPU1) 40 °C

Graphics
VA1916wSERIES (1440x900@60Hz)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series (ATI AIB) 39 °C

Hard Drives
233GB SAMSUNG HD252HJ ATA Device (SATA) 36 °C
466GB Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 ATA Device (SATA) 42 °C

Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24LS70 ATA Device

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

I already troubleshoot for a week but I need to fix my system ASAP. any recommendations? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:04 AM

I think it's caused by a power over consumption. The card pulls a max of 274watts plus 89 watts from the cpu http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_hd_7850_and_7870_review,7.html then again, factoring in the optical drive and HD. I think what may be happening is just under full load, the PSU hits its fail safe breaker because its drawing near its top/exceeding its rated output. Though you did replace the PSU with the same wattage, you had since upgraded the graphics card and CPU, so the power consumption would be more than that of the stock setup. Though, I'm not an expert 100% on this so we might have to call for another opinion.
Tallying up your wattage your GPU and CPU comes out to be 363watts at full load (274+89) and that's not even factoring in your Hard drives ar full read consumption and the idle pull from your optical drive, also you need to keep in mind that sometimes on the mid budget PSU companies if it says 500watts it's usually 489 or 490watts. Similar to how a 2tb drive is usually 1.9tb

Edited by Zestypanda, 30 June 2013 - 04:16 AM.

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#3 polarpandabear

polarpandabear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:23 AM

I'm using HD radeon 7850 exactly. I also have in mind that there is an overload but I don't have enough knowledge on electronic circuits.
by the way my new PSU is 230V and the standard power outlet here in the philippines is 220V. I don't know if I can consider it as a problem.

By the way I am now doing this steps all day:

• Defrag all my disks
  • Run a full system scan
  • Chkdsk
  • Memory Diagnostic Test
  • reformat my drive.

#4 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:45 AM

Ok, though I doubt an install of windows could effect the power consumption of a device, I also forgot to factor in the motherboard wattage.

#5 polarpandabear

polarpandabear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:57 AM

By the way, these are the total voltage around my system.

+3.3V -> 3.296 V
CPU CORE -> 1.384 V
VIN2 -> 2.192 V
VIN3 -> 1.294 V
+5V -> 3.700 V
+12V -> 14.168 V
VIN6 -> 3.104 V
VSB3V -> 3.344 V
CMOS BATTERY -> 3.344 V

by the way...how can an installation of windows affect the power consumption?

Edited by polarpandabear, 30 June 2013 - 05:13 AM.

#6 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

I'm sorry, I assumed you had windows, if you did/do have windows, there is no logical reason how (maybe the amount of background processes or if you have graphics intensive programs running) an installation of windows can increase power consumption, well, maybe it can fractionally, I'm guessing you have Linux instead? When I heard maya I thought you were using windows.

#7 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

Also, those are in voltages, not watts, I can't convert en to watts without the ampage.

#8 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

Hello, I'm just following up to see if you still require assistance.

#9 polarpandabear

polarpandabear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

I'm still checking my computer.

I try to stress again my computer using windows customer experience program (the one that rates the computer from 3.1 to 7.9). 

when window is trying to check the arithmetic logic unit (either CPU or Video card) it crashes.

I have in mind that the video card is the problem maybe because the card itself is getting much power so I have two options.

• Check out mu PSU to the retail shop to since I have still warranty on it.
  • Reformat my disk.

which of the two should I do first?

sory for late reply

Edited by polarpandabear, 01 July 2013 - 06:09 PM.

#10 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

Sir, what I'm doing to tell you will be the same thing a repair shop will tell you. Your PSU is not broken, you're just overloading it, the power consumption of your CPU and GPU combined is causing your computer's PSU to shut down. The fix to this is either to undervolt your CPU (advanced and not advised) or upgrade your PSU to a 600W or 700W. ~Zestypanda.

#11 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:20 PM

Furthermore, I do not advise at formatting and reinstalling windows. That can't and won't help your problem, your issue is that you're overloading your PSU. It's underrated for what you're trying to attempt. ~Zestypanda.

#12 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

A 7850, base stock, maybe pulls 90 watts.  With 2 gigs of RAM, maybe 100 watts.  Overclocked~ 130 watts.

I think the wattages in referenced article were for total system load including the video card.

What PSU is being used?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#13 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

Dpunisher, his issue is occurring when his system IS under full load, such as rendering, or during the windows experience indexing.

#14 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

Furthermore, he specified his type of replacement non OEM PSU in his first post. "Thermaltake with the same wattage(500W)"

#15 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:29 PM

Old eyes.  Well, with a Thermaltake, you never know what you will get.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users