Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If my pc is infected will a re-install kill all?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 leshart

leshart

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:50 AM

I am having trouble with occasional Blue Screen and Black Screen with cursor on start up although sometimes the pc will start correctly, otherwise I have to F8 and ''start on the last good configuration''.

I used to have a Joomla website that was attacked.  On trying to fix it I had to downloading the site to work on localhost I am wondering whether I infected my machine. I eventually gave up and took the site offline but could there still be a trace on my pc?

I have been working with one of our members to rid my pc of Montera Toolbar http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/498852/montera-toolbar-found-by-spybot-how-to-delete/page-2#entry3089325

but I am now wondering if I shouldn't just re-install and start from scratch hence my questions:-

1. If I re-install Windows would that wipe out ANY/ALL possible infection?

2. What happens if a clean re-install of Windows is done and I then have to refer to my files saved onto an exterior hard disk?  I have scanned my hard disks with ESET anti-virus and have Malwarebytes installed.  By the way neither of these two can find anything amiss on either laptop or ext. disks.

I am reluctant to re-install in case it is a problem with the hard disk although when I do the checks the pc tells me all is well.  Perhaps it is just a corrupt Windows file that can be replaced and would save me hours of struggling to re-install,; I've never done it before and would have to learn that.

I have done a DDS scan.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 qam

qam

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:44 AM

downlaod and install microsoft safty scanner from here..http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

run it, this will search the infected system by checking maleware and spyware files and resolve all issues regarding these.

you can also repair your OS instead of re-installing the windows..

if you want to re-install your OS then first format the HD with ntfs file system..

#3 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:52 AM

Before we blow away windows or drag your computer into sickbay, have you already tried doing a repair with the windows 7 install disk yet? Doing s repair or attempting to do one might be the best thing to do, before we assume its a virus. Often adware and toolbars can and will mess with system files and that can cause system instability.

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#4 leshart

leshart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:09 AM

downlaod and install microsoft safty scanner from here..http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

run it, this will search the infected system by checking maleware and spyware files and resolve all issues regarding these.

you can also repair your OS instead of re-installing the windows..

if you want to re-install your OS then first format the HD with ntfs file system..

Hi and thank you for advice.

I have run the Microsoft Safety Scanner and nothing was found.  Thing is I ran my ESET Anti-Virus on DATA (D:) and the laptop runs a bit hot about a third of the way through the scan, tells me the scan is finished, 0 infected files, but when I try to access the log it Blue Screens Error 0x000000F4.

No idea how to format the hard drive with nfts system.

Edited by leshart, 30 June 2013 - 04:10 AM.

#5 leshart

leshart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:11 AM

Before we blow away windows or drag your computer into sickbay, have you already tried doing a repair with the windows 7 install disk yet? Doing s repair or attempting to do one might be the best thing to do, before we assume its a virus. Often adware and toolbars can and will mess with system files and that can cause system instability.

I am not sure how to do a repair from the disks.  When I bought the ASUS I made a Recovery disk 1 to 5 so not sure which one to use or how to use them. :-(

Thank you for your time.

#6 qam

qam

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:01 AM

ok..you should install the fresh copy of windows and this will automatically format the disk with ntfs file system..its easy for you..

#7 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

Ok,let's hold everything, I'm brining in someone to help.

#8 leshart

leshart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:10 PM

Appreciated thank you. :-)

#9 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

You're welcome, I just don't wanna make and quick judgments and blow away your install. ~Zestypanda

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

1. yes a reformat will remove all programs and data from your system, malicious or not.

2. your computer will read your external discs just like it did before.

The reality is that if you're going to spent 5 hours trying to fix an install and perhaps fail, you are better off just starting from fresh. It takes 90-120 mins to have a fresh OS and begin again with no worries. It's no struggle to start an install fresh, compared to trying to repair corrupted installs/remove tricky malware.

In fact, you could already be clean and up and running by now, since you first created this thread.

To refresh your OS put the first disc of your Image in the machine, press F8 or F2 or whatever it is to get in your BIOS settings when you power on, change the boot order to the CD first and save and exit. Then just follow the prompts.

Very easy, and then you can be very sure also.

Good luck.

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

After looking a your original topic here.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/498852/montera-toolbar-found-by-spybot-how-to-delete/page-2

This machine has a variety of errors now. I would be inclined to move to the last step and reformat.
The above comments by TsVk! are correct in answering the question you asked here.

I will close the other post now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 leshart

leshart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:18 AM

Well it seems like I'll have to put a day aside and re-install.  I'll read up on the web about it first and cross fingers.

I'd like to say a BIG THANK YOU to all who have taken the time, your time, to reply and help with my problem.

Thank you :-)

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

If you're not sure how to reformat and reinstall Windows, please review:These links include specific step-by-step instructions with screenshots:Vista users can refer to these instructions:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#14 leshart

leshart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:20 AM

How comforting it is when one has a pc problem to have help and advice.  Thank you!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users