Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting an external monitor to display from a broken laptop from boot.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 wy21

wy21

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

Ok, I have a laptop (CQ50-211NR ) with a broken screen. The only thing visible is the lower corner. The rest is the classic cracked screen you've seen before.

The computer still works fine. I can easily hook it to an external monitor. 

I want to upgrade the OS, but in order to do that, I will have to be outside of Windows (DOS).

The problem is that the external monitor does not kick in until after it boots into Windows. Anytime before that I see a black screen.

I know of the Fn + F4 key combo for my particular model to activate the monitor, but no amount of tries has yielded anything but a black screen until the Vista logo appears where then the monitor works just fine. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to hold those key down or what. Nothing seems to work.

I cant fiddle with any BIOS settings because I cant see anything due to the broken laptop screen.

Is there something I'm missing. I've had other laptops pull this off ok. Any help would be REALLY appreciated!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users