Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help, I'm going to lose my mind after the BIOS update

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kilese

Kilese

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:12 PM

So heres what happened:  I bought a refurbished Gateway NV55So9u laptop off ebay, it has a 90 day warrenty by the seller, but I'm not sure to what extent.  But anyways the laptop worked perfectly before I tried to update the BIOS.  When I got the laptop, it was so out of date with everything I had to manually update so many things.  After having the laptop about 2 weeks, I looked back in the updates because the SM bus controller was missing, so I looked for the chipset driver.  That failed to download so some stupid thing I read said to update the BIOS.  I tried it, it interupted and stopped in the middle of it.  The other thing I downloaded said it needed to reboot, so I did.  After that the computer when through a reboot loop, not getting far enough to access even the BIOS.  The screen stays completely off, not backlit at all.  I've asked on other forums, and everyone tells me my computer is trash now, and that the screen is ruined.  But the thing is, My computer was perfecly fine before this BIOS accident.  The screen didn't suddenly die by coincedence, I'm guessing it has to be from the BIOS.  I have tried so many things, including:

Taking out battery, holding power button and starting with power cord

Taking out the cmos battery and putting it back in

Making a Flash Drive bootable, and putting a Windows 7 Repair file in

Putting my systems BIOS file in the bootable flash drive

The BIOS file works to an extent, because it keeps the computer from reboot looping, and the fan comes on.  The flash drive also blinks, as if it is being accessed, but the screen never comes back on.

I really need help, I am losing my sanity over this.  That laptop is my baby it has all my games on it and really is such a nice laptop.  I also cannot afford to buy a new one or pay a lot to fix it, when the only thing wrong is a stupid BIOS error.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilese

Kilese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

I should also add that when it is plugged into power, thats when it will turn on and off over and over, if you unplug it even if the battery is in, it will attempt to turn on once and quit.  The hard drive light also does not come on, so I'm not sure what that means.  Like I said this laptop was working perfecly yesterday and I just want it to be fixed. :(

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

If the BIOS update never completed, and you didn't save a copy of the old BIOS you can reinstall, you can try reloading the BIOS again. Hopefully that will work, but without a fully functional BIOS your computer is never going to boot. When trying to reinstall the BIOS, don't reboot if the install appears to hang or isn't complete.

If you can't fix or reinstall the BIOS then yes, the computer is trashed. You could try installing a new motherboard if you can't get the BIOS fixed.

Sorry the news isn't better.

#4 Kilese

Kilese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

I just can't believe that BIOS could destroy my new computer I just got 2 weeks ago.  I don't have enough money to get a new one, I just got this one :(  Its such a nice computer, I actually wanna cry right now.  Hopefully the seller can help me out somehow.  When it turns on, I hear everything trying to kick on as normal, but it doesn't get far.  Does anybody know how to boot it up with a new BIOS from a flash drive?  I've already been trying it,but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

You can flash the BIOS from a flash drive. But without a functioning BIOS, you can't boot from a flash drive.

The BIOS performs POST -- power on self test -- on all critical hardware, like the processor, RAM, video card, keyboard, mouse, fan, etc. and checks for an operating system it can boot into. With out a BIOS, there is no way for the computer to start up. :( 

#6 qam

qam

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:26 AM

yes its a bios problem: first you should change the RAM ,remove the bios card and battery cell and again attach those on the motherboard now start your system and in system setup click on default settings. th system should must boot with new memory status..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users