Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confused

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tamj

Tamj

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:29 AM

Hi! I need to know where to begin as well. My pc is far beyond saving I believe and I have alot of questions. I have missing drivers as well as missing files, folders, .dlls, shortcuts path is dead, start menu is dead, no sound, can't download, no updates to any programs or windows updates, I have win xp sp3 32 bit and had pre8 and now it has popped back to IE6, Google Chrome connects to internet but IE won't, and if a download does make it through it isn't recognized by my pc. I have to go to program files and bring up a program already loaded just to scan for more virus. It's shot! I had sent pics to justCloud and was fine until then, but Cloud took all my programs and i brought them back but with a trojan and 37 items that were malware and bots and I don't know what else. i think I am clean now (microsoft malicious malware removal) and need to repair from xp disk but will that replace my drivers that are missing? Lots of drivers. If it does, then can I wipe it clean and install my xp disk program again? I don't know much at all about computers so if this is going to be complicated please spoonfeed me! LOL! I just can't fix it, I have tried cmds from microsoft that didn't work to try and restore so I guess I'm missing some crucial info. I have tried sfc/scannow and it didn't work either. the f11 key doesn't work either. I have a number of errors when trying to download or connect IE to the internet. Do you think my pc can be repaired with the xp disk? If all I need are drivers in place will the disk replace them? Please let me know what to do. Thanks so much!   Tammie

Edited by hamluis, 29 June 2013 - 10:34 AM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:18 AM

First, you have a topic here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/499179/many-problems/ in Am I Infected which you never followed through on.  If you want to check for the possibility that your system is infected please do what  boopme suggested in that topic.

Will you be using an XP disk or recovery disks that came with your computer?

If XP disk, no the drivers will not be installed if you reinstall Win XP.

Windows will install generic drivers for devices AFTER the install either when the system is rebooted and Windows finds the devices OR when Windows updates are done. Windows updates will see them as OPTIONAL so you will have to check them in order to install.

Generic drivers will work in a pinch but it is always better to use the manufacturer drivers.

You will have to get them from your motherboard manufacturer website OR if you have any separate cards (video, network, sound) from the card manufacturer site.

Computer recovery disks should reinstall the drivers.

What is the manufacterer/model number of your computer?

#3 Tamj

Tamj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:19 AM

Sorry to bother everyone. I won't post anymore. No functions on my PC will follow through with requests. I will figure out something. Thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

If you cannot do simple things on your system...sounds like time for a clean install or restore to factory defaults as an attempt to define the problem.  A problem continuation after either of those...will normally point to a hardware issue.

Louis

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

As Queen-Evie pointed out, you have an open topic in the Am I Infected.  I would suggest returning to that topic and follow the instructions Boopme posted.  It is important to determine if any of this is virus related before attempting any other repairs.

Once it has been determined that this computer is clean and you are still have problems return to this topic and let us know.  Those of us who have posted in this topic automatically receive notification of any posts added to this topic, so we will know and respond. 

If the large number of issues still exist I would suggest doing a repair installation.  This will not effect your data or programs.  The disc which you posted about must be for the same version as the one installed on this computer, i.e., Home, Pro, etc.

What is the make and model of this computer?

Did this installation disc come with this computer, if not... is this a retail or OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) copy.

Edited by dc3, 02 July 2013 - 09:07 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users