Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freeze at Welcome after Login on Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 fee336

fee336

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

My computer is freezing at the welcome message after inputting the account password to login.  The blue spinning circle just stops spinning.

The computer will run in any version of safemode.

The problem remains after a restart from running the System Configuration screen of msconfig.exe with no startup programs and no non-Microsoft services (i.e. "Selective startup" with "Load startup items" unchecked under General and all services unchecked with "Hide all Microsoft services" checked under Services, although "Norton Security Suite" always is rechecked upon reboot in safemode).

Running "Repair your computer" by hitting F8 during boot and then running "Startup Repair" results in a message "Startup Repair could not detect a problem."

Any thoughts or assistance would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:34 AM

Hi fee336,

Go into Device Manager and see if there any exclamation points. Could be hardware related. Have you tried running chkdsk and sfc?

#3 fee336

fee336
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

Thanks, sikntired,

There is exclamation point for "HID UPS Battery" that flashes on and off (i.e. the entire entry disappears completely from the list and then comes back).

chkdsk did find errors.  I ran chkdsk /f a few times.  I still get a message: "The Volume Bitmap is incorrect. Windows found problems with the file system. Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these."  However, I received this same message before running chkdsk /f.

sfc /scannow results in a message: "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.  Details are included in the CBS.log . . . "  The CBS log is 7,016 KB text documents that is beyond my knowledge to interpret.

#4 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

Hi fee 336,

Did you actually look at the sfcdetails.txt that should have been produced on your desktop? If not open an elevated command prompt and right click

on Run As Administrator. Then copy and paste following:  findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

then "enter" and let run.

In order to resolve the issue some possibile causes need to be eliminated.

#5 fee336

fee336
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:52 PM

OK.  I see sfcdetails.txt.  What are we looking for?  I see a few Cannot repair member file entries. 

#6 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

BTW you said you ran chkdsk /f . Did you also run ckkdsk /r ?

As for the HID UPS Battery look here : http://batcmd.com/windows/7/services/hidbatt/

Try that and follow instructions under Automated restore.

Have you tried last known good configuration or system restore. Just a thought?

Edited by sikntired, 29 June 2013 - 03:36 PM.

#7 fee336

fee336
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

I have not run chkdsk /r.

I tried to follow the instructions under Automated restore.  The RestoreHIDUPSBatteryDriverWindows7 batch file doesn't appear to change anything.  The exclamation point remains on restart.  hidbatt.sys does reside in C:/Windows/System32/drivers.  

#8 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

Thought it was worth a shot as it is a kernel driver. Did you go ahead and run chdsk /r ? Did you look at Event Viewer for the most recent logs?

Good tutorial here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/226084-event-viewer-open-use-windows-7-a.html

sfcdetails.txt can identify corrupt files that it cannot repair and these have to be replaced manually. Not thoroughly convinced that is the underlying problem. 

. Starting Windows with the Last Known Good Configuration will return driver and registry settings to the state they were in the last time Windows started up and shut down properly, possibly returning your computer to working order.

System Restore is another possibility.

Startup Repair: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/windows-7-startup-repair.htm

Edited by sikntired, 29 June 2013 - 05:18 PM.

#9 fee336

fee336
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

OK, I have run chkdsk /r.  The message: "The Volume Bitmap is incorrect. Windows found problems with the file system" remains.

I have looked at the Event Viewer.  There have been a ton of system errors each time I try to start up.  Many of them say things like: "The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start."

The file that sfcdetails refers to as unrepairable is tcpmon.ini 

The problem persists when starting Windows with the Last Know Good Configuration.

Using System Restore to restore the system to the automatic point from 6/22/2013 (the only restore point option) did not solve the problem.

Startup Repair still states that it could not detect a problem.  Although I did not run it from DVD as the tutorial does.

#10 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

The sfc error "tcpmon.ini is" associated with printer devices. When you tried System Restore did try the option to " select another restore point " as opposed to the " automatic restore point " ?

Try going into Device Manager  Click the "+" icon that appears before each category, such as "Display adapters" or "Network adapters."

Double-click the adapter, then click the "Driver" tab on the dialog that appears.

Click "Driver Details" to view detailed information about the driver operating the hardware. Check to see if you have the latest driver by right "clicking"

and selecting " update ". Or by double-click adapter, then click "Driver" tab on the dialogue that appears and then choose "update"

You didn't say whether you ran malware scan. It should be done with the Norton installed or you can use MalwareBytes Free :

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

If the issue is still not resolved, I would back-up all important data and consider doing System Repair :

here : http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Or you can wait and see if other members may have some ideas. Because of no problems in any safemode I think it is driver-related.

Regards...........

Edited by sikntired, 30 June 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#11 fee336

fee336
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

Thanks again for your help Sikntired.

It turns out the System Restore did not take.  When I rebooted in Safe Mode I received the message:  "System Restore did not complete successfully.  Your  computer's system files and setting were not changed.  Details: System Restore failed to extract the file (C:\Users\CaptainBenson\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data) from the restore point.  The restore point was damaged or was deleted during the restore."  This is the only restore point that System Restore offers as an option.

All display and network adapters have current drivers when I ask for updates.

Malware scans to do not turn anything up.

Everything is backed up.  I will consider the System Repair.

#12 fee336

fee336
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:35 PM

So how do I perform a System Repair?

The first instruction in the tutorial ( http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html ) is "Start Windows 7, and log on to an administrator account."  But that's my problem.  When I try to do that, Windows freezes. 

#13 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

You should do a Diagnotics test. Shutdown or reboot computer and keep tapping F12 until diagnosis screen appears. When the boot devices list appears highlight diagnostics and press 'enter'. This will check for any system problems.

If no problems then I would consider clean install: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm  

BTW have you had any problems with the 'time or date'? If so this is caused by HID UPS Battery and may need to be changed.

For now let's see what the diagnostics tests reveals. Did you run a scan for Malware??

Regards...................

Edited by sikntired, 01 July 2013 - 09:14 AM.

#14 fee336

fee336
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:37 AM

Thanks,

I will do the diagnostic test this evening.

I have not had problems with the time or date.  I have now disconnected all the USB cables except the mouse and the keyboard (the cables to the UPS and printers).  This made the Battery device go away. But the freeze still occurs.

I have run scans from Norton and Malwarebytes that did not turn anything up (except tracking cookies).

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

Please...scan your hard drive with the appropriate utility, testing for functionality of the drive.

Louis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users