Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows XP as third OS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tany3450

Tany3450

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

Hi. I have both Windows 7 and Linux Mint 14 on my computer. In addition, I want to install windows XP. But I have some problems... 

Lets begin with partitions.

pqdnn.png

First one (System) - I don't know what it is for. I think its not important atm.
Second one© - Here is the windows 7.
Third one(*) - I want to install windows XP here.
Fourth one(*) - Linux mint is here.
Fifth one(Recovery) - Why the hell its using 14Gb ? lol

First problem ; When I trying to create a partition for the Third one(*) via MiniTool Partition Wizard, I got this error ;

pqdsg.png

I tried a few things to fix, but I failed.

Second problem ; When I tried to install Windows XP via CD, I got blue screen error called 0x0000007B at the first stage of installation. So I could not install it. Can this problem related to first one ?

All this mess is because I want to play some old games on XP :) Can't get the same performance on Windows 7. Thank you guys !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

Hi

Before attempting to create a new partition and install a new OS, you should understand the basics of partitioning and multiboot setups.

There are two types of partition schemes named MBR and  GPT. Master Boot Record aka MBR is the oldest and it exists since DOS era. In this partition scheme, we can only create 4 primary partitions. One of them can be an extended partition.

http://emdadblog.blogspot.in/2010/07/deferences-between-master-boot-record.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record

Your system already contains  4 primary partitions and hence it is difficult to create a fifth one.

GPT supports up to 128 partitions but you will need a UEFI motherboard and either 64Bit Windows 7 or Win 8. You can't install Win XP to a GPT disk.

This is your current partition structure :

1 - System reserved.

This is the system boot partition created by Windows setup. If you delete or modify it, you won't be able to boot either Linux or Windows.

2 - Tany Windows .

This is the system partition. If you modify it, Windows won't boot

3 - Ext 4

This is the root partition of Linux. 

4 - HDDRecovery

Probably it will be the OEM recovery partition. You will lose the ability to restore the OEM Windows 7 if you modify it.

There is a way to create a fifth partition but it is too risky to attempt. You may end up corrupting the partition table and loose all the data. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 29 June 2013 - 09:42 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

FWIW:  Assuming that you have a desktop...a simple solution would be to install XP on a separate hard drive (minus the other hard drive)...then reattach the other drive...install EasyBCD and edit the boot files in Win 7 to reflect the XP install which then exists.

Louis

#4 hairymonster2000

hairymonster2000

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

Alternatively, you could install XPVM (XP virtual machine) in windows7 straight from microsoft. You need to be running win7 pro or higher.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8002

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users