Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adblock extension actually displays ads behind your back

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

The German website Mobile Geeks has investigated and found out that popular advertising blocking extension for various browsers Adblock is actually involved in displaying ads and analyzing your online activity. They do block ads from large companies but also inject ads from some of their partner companies.

According to Mobile Geeks, Adblock switched hands in 2010 and is now owned by a German company Cologne Eyeo GmbH. This company has 15 employees but only 1 free to use product - Adblock. They raise the question - "How do they make money from it to pay 15 employees and still make profit?"

Read all the analysis here :

http://www.mobilegeeks.de/adblock-plus-undercover-einblicke-in-ein-mafioeses-werbenetzwerk/

The website is in German language, so you can use Google Translate or Bing Translate.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

I don't know what to say, I have a feeling something isn't adding up with this article.

Hey everyone I'm Allen I am a young web developer/designer/programmer I also help people with computer issues including hardware problems, malware/viruses infections and software conflicts. I am a kind and easy to get along with person so if you need help feel free to ask.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:44 PM

By default Adblock Plus will allow some "approved" ads. You do have the option to not allow the "approved ads".

See info here: Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus

Copied from above link....

Starting with Adblock Plus 2.0 you can allow some of the advertising that is considered not annoying. By doing this you support websites that rely on advertising but choose to do it in a non-intrusive way. And you give these websites an advantage over their competition which encourages other websites to use non-intrusive advertising as well. In the long term the web will become a better place for everybody, not only Adblock Plus users. Without this feature we run the danger that increasing Adblock Plus usage will make small websites unsustainable.

Why is this feature enabled by default?

Because that's unfortunately the only way to reach the goals outlined above. If we ask users to enable this feature then most of them won't do it — simply because they never change any settings unless absolutely necessary. However, advertisers will only be interested in switching to better ways of advertising if the majority of Adblock Plus users has this feature enabled.

But I hate all ads!

No problem, you can disable this feature at any time. Click the Adblock Plus icon and choose "Filter Preferences" from the menu. Uncheck "Allow non-intrusive advertising" and you are done.

Will all "acceptable" ads be unblocked?

No. Unfortunately, it isn't technically possible to recognize "acceptable" ads automatically. We have agreements with some websites and advertisers that only advertising matching our criteria will be used, their ads will be unblocked then. We hope to grow our list significantly over time.

EDIT:  I wanted to add that I have contributed a few bucks to them. I like to think that many others who can have contributed, too.

Edited by buddy215, 29 June 2013 - 08:48 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users