Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error upgrading to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ShuunForce

ShuunForce

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:29 AM

Sir my previous OS is Win xp sp3?..

and I tried to install windows 7...

im getting this error 0xc0000428... and does not report any file problem..

can u please help me..

and when i tried to intall win vista im getting this error..

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\COMPONENTS
or its log or alternate.

can u please help me..... pls pls...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

You posted that you tried to install Windows 7, was this Microsoft update anytime?

If not, are you using a legal copy of a retail or OEM disc with a COA (certificate of Authenticiy)?

Since you have the installation disc I would suggest using it to access the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) and use the command prompts there.

BleepingComputer has a tutorial for this, it can be found here.

Edited by dc3, 29 June 2013 - 09:01 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ShuunForce

ShuunForce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

after the "Press from any key to boot from cd or dvd" part..

Windows Boot manager appears showing the above mentioned 0xc0000428 error.. it also says try disabling Driver signature Enforcement
i tried using F8 and using the last known good configuration..
also tried repairing the OS using my old win xp sp3 installer...

by means of fixBOOT, fixMBR.

and I have many unfortunate events to tell (haha, promise my mishaps on this problem really happened)

but still this error prevails.. (-_-) IM SOOO FRUSTRATED NOT BEING ABLE TO DO ANYTHING....

i wont even reach the Figure 2. Configure language and location options in Windows 7 Setup....

hmm~ pls help... im suffering in this problem for almost 3 weeks now...

ps: my current OS is win xp sp3.. not win 7...

#4 ShuunForce

ShuunForce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

to add~ ive have already used this tool on my pc and attempted an upgrade..
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

this tool was shown in this site at the downloads tab page 3(if i remember it correctly)..

BUT STILL that same error ocurred...

BTW thanks to dc3 for being able to reply at my post...

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

According to Microsoft, the 0xc0000428 error usually occurs during upgrades because the install DVD itself is corrupt. The error indicates a system file in the kernel is corrupt, which would happen if the install DVD has issues.

As long as you have a valid product key, you should be able to install Windows 7 using a different install DVD, or try installing from a USB drive.

The c0000218 error means your registry is now corrupt -- again, this would result from a faulty install DVD. You could try the steps Microsoft recommends for this error --   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156640  -- but I suspect using another install disk would be the better option at this point.

#6 ShuunForce

ShuunForce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:23 PM

ill try to read on the support links u guys posted.. see if those thing will be helpful..

thanks BTW..

PLEASE HEAR ME OUT as ive said before im having this problem for some 3 weeks now~

TO Start,
actually i tried using the win 7 OS installer into my friends laptop....

and questionably~

it WORKED... (i cancelled the SETUP after seeing it continued to work)

I also did once tried to remove my hard disk and tried to reformat it into my friends PC, installed the OS (using the WIn 7 installer)..

it worked FLAWLESSLY.. no errors...

and after reformatting, I returned the reformatted and OS INSTALLED HARD Disk to my PC...

and that same error occured...

I BOOTED up tried HITTING F8 and selected "Disable Driver signature Enforcement" it restarted.. WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER shows up showing the SAME ERROR AGAIN... cant run the repair from the WIN 7 os installer because of the WIN BOOT MANAGER STOPS EVERYTHING...

Pressing "ESC" (pc will boot up)  Pressing "ENTER" (pc also boots up)

IS THIS AN HARDWARE ERROR??

IF SO..... WHAT CAUSED IT?? CAN YOU GUYS TELL WHAT HARDWARE (SO I CAN PUT hardware at fault INTO THE WASHING MACHINE HAHAAHAHA) 

or if it is SOFTWARE error ill try to browse around to to find a appropriate  TOOL...

PS: PLEASE TELL IF IM VIOLATING ANY RULE AND REGULATIONS IN MY PREVIOUS  POST.. 

Edited by ShuunForce, 30 June 2013 - 01:56 AM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

You still haven't answered my questions.

Is this a upgrade to Windows 7 from XP?

Is this a retail or OEM installation disc?

Is this a legal copy?

If this is a legal installation disc for Windows 7 I would suggest that you use a program like Daik's Boot and Nuke to overwrite the hdd, this effectively will give you a fresh slate to work with, and then install Windows 7.

If you have any questions regarding the installation procedure you may want to check out this tutorial.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

You're reply makes it clear the install DVD is not the issue. The error message you are getting, 0x0000428, can also indicate a hardware issue. The fact that the install worked on your friend's PC and with your hard drive, and not on your PC makes it pretty evident the problem is on your PC's hardware. It could be a system memory issue on your PC, it could be an issue with the motherboard bus that controls the hard drive on your PC.

Unfortunately the error code is not very specific in terms of identifying the exact hardware cause. Are there any other error code you are getting that might help pinpoint it?

#9 ShuunForce

ShuunForce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:19 AM

@ dc3 sorry for not being able to answer all of your questions

Is this a upgrade to Windows 7 from XP?

YES

Is this a legal copy?

No (haha)
ill try to use Daiks Nuke thanks for that~

@ sflateguy

when i tried to install win vista it shows the error

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}

The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\COMPONENTS
or its log or alternate.

hmm it might be connected with the vista error somehow~ 
dont know for sure..

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:33 AM

That error message indicates the registry can't be loaded. It could be because a file is missing, or corrupt. That, in turn, could be due to hard disk corruption or the fact that the hardware may not be compatible with the OS you are trying to install -- given that you are trying to upgrade from XP to 7, that is a likely possibility. Did you check to ensure your PC is compatible with Windows 7? 

At this point, your only real option is to try and reinstall the OS after the drive is wiped clean. However, since you aren't using a legal copy, that may not work for you.

#11 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:34 AM

That error message indicates the registry can't be loaded. It could be because a file is missing, or corrupt. That, in turn, could be due to hard disk corruption or the fact that the hardware may not be compatible with the OS you are trying to install -- given that you are trying to upgrade from XP to 7, that is a likely possibility. Did you check to ensure your PC is compatible with Windows 7? 

At this point, your only real option is to try and reinstall the OS after the drive is wiped clean. However, since you aren't using a legal copy, that may not work for you.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

TO Start,
actually i tried using the win 7 OS installer into my friends laptop....

and questionably~

it WORKED... (i cancelled the SETUP after seeing it continued to work)

I also did once tried to remove my hard disk and tried to reformat it into my friends PC, installed the OS (using the WIn 7 installer)..

it worked FLAWLESSLY.. no errors...

Any media which came with a laptop...is by definition an OEM install tied to that system alone.  Attempting to install such on another system is bound not to work properly.  Along with the legal implications of violating the EULA...the settings and drivers would be all wrong for the system, with the only possible exception being if the the two system were perfectly identical and made by the same OEM.  Even then, the license applicable would be a problem.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 July 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

The bottom line here is that if you tried to do an upgrade with a disc that you don't have the UAC for, you will never be able to activate it without purchasing the UAC.  If this is the case then I would suggest purchasing a retail copy of Windows 7, wipe the drive, install the operating system, download the appropriate drivers and enjoy Windows 7 until it the end of its extended support which occurs on January 14, 2020.

Just out of curiosity, where did this installation disc come from?

#14 ShuunForce

ShuunForce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:09 AM

as of July 02 2013 9 pm gmt +8 PROBLEM FIXED...

First I would like to thank all who had alotted time in helping me with my problem..
namely sflatechguy, hamluis and dc3...
thank u for ur comments..

Daik's Boot and Nuke

saves the day...

Edited by ShuunForce, 03 July 2013 - 12:29 AM.

#15 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:27 AM

As long as it involved a legal installation of Windows 7, you're welcome. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users